Honored Contributor

Very glad I didn’t go shopping yesterday. Huge police shootout, jewelry store robbery and UPS hijack

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, around 4:00, two robbers hit at a ritzy jewelry store in Dade County. The store was on Miami’s (Coral Gables’) Miracle Mile. There were two robbers. The store owner exchanged fire with them and bullets were flying with one bullet hitting a window in city hall. The robbers then hijacked a UPS truck with the driver still inside. They fled the scene taking a long, convoluted drive throughout two counties. They headed north through both Dade and Broward Counties with the police chasing at at their heels. As the truck moved north during rush hour, at the height of the shopping season, more and more officers from both counties and various jurisdictions joined in the chase. The truck took I-75,  making it all the way north,  where it took a ride through a huge senior complex called Century Village, still with police following. The truck ended up on one of the busiest roads and shopping area, Flamingo Road in Miramar. Bullets were flying everywhere, with nineteen officers exchanging fire with the robbers in the UPS truck as rush hour drivers sat stuck in the middle of the shootout  and tons of bystanders watched. 

The most horrible outcome occurred, with the UPS driver shot and killed and a motorist killed by crossfire. The two robbers were also killed. This morning the FBI and The Florida Department of Law Enforcement are investigating. Various roads in Dade and Broward were closed to facilitate the investigation. 

I live nearby and shop in the area often. 

EDITED TO ADD you can view scenes from the shootout on YouTube. 

Update. Dec. 6 at 7 P.M., From NBC 6 South Florida:

“When the truck stopped in traffic at a light near Miramar Parkway and Flamingo Road, the suspects opened fire on officers, which resulted in an exchange of gunfire between law enforcement and the suspects, George Piro of the FBI said in a news conference Thursday night”

“Piro confirmed that the two suspects died, as well as the UPS driver and a bystander who was shot where the chase ended in Miramar”

"The armed suspects engaged law enforcement, opened fire, there was exchanged fire between law enforcement and the suspects and unfortunately the suspects are now deceased but two additional innocent civilians were also deceased," Piro said.

Honored Contributor

Re: Very glad I didn’t go shopping yesterday. Huge police shootout, jewelry store robbery and UPS hi

@Mindy D 

An earlier thread below:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/If-UPS-doesn-t-deliver-your-goods-on-time-maybe-this-is-...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Very glad I didn’t go shopping yesterday. Huge police shootout, jewelry store robbery and UPS hi

Oh my.  What a world.  I am glad you were not there and were not involved.  Innocent people died-so sad for all concerned.  Just everyday routines seem to be dangerous anymore.  Churches, synagogues, schools, movie theatres, nightclubs, airports, naval bases, shopping areas...the list goes on and on...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Why on Earth were the police having a shootout with innocent civilians sitting ducks stuck in the crossfire?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Why on Earth were the police having a shootout with innocent civilians sitting ducks stuck in the crossfire?

Supposedly, because the truck could be used to kill people on the busy road, the robbers were shooting at the police and the life of the UPS driver was at risk. Your question is is a good one and is the reason the FBI and FDLE are investigating. Many are asking the same question.  There were thousands of people around. The cross streets of the shootout, Miramar Parkway and Flamingo Road, were swamped with people. I’m reserving judgement until more details are known. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just replied to another thread regarding a fatal police shooting in Michigan. This story is even more horrific. Many more lives will be affected in the most unimaginable of ways. Most of us will be celebrating this festive time of year, while others are not as fortunate, and will be living a nightmare. This certainly puts things into perspective, and reminds us to count our blessings. My thoughts and prayers are with EVERYONE directly, and indirectly victimized by such brazen disregard for life, and public safety, ESPECIALLY their loved ones.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

It was the UPS driver's first day on the job, he has a 1 1/2 year old daughter.

RIP....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

All this over stolen jewelry that was most likely insured? Not surprised, I guess

Respected Contributor

Authorities on Friday identified the men as Lamar Alexander, 41, and Ronnie Hill, 41, both of whom were released from state prison in 2017.

Records show that Alexander was convicted of an armed robbery in Lee County in 2008, and was released in 2017, according to corrections records.

Alexander’s brother, Corey Smith, is the football coach at Miami Senior High School. Smith said Alexander had three children. Smith said he was headed home from football practice Thursday night when he got a “hysterical” call from his mom. When he got home, they watched the conclusion of the shootout on the news.

“I didn’t know he was living like that,” Smith said. “In life, you gotta make better decisions. We weren’t raised like that. I love my brother, but he’s been making bad decisions his whole life.”

Hill most recently finished a year prison sentence for a series of burglaries, state records show.

~Miami Herald

Esteemed Contributor

Just talked to my UPS driver.  They had a moment of silence for him early this morning.  He said it was his first day driving ALONE in a UPS truck.  So sad.

@KingstonsMom wrote:

It was the UPS driver's first day on the job, he has a 1 1/2 year old daughter.

RIP....

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead