Respected Contributor

Re: Very Surprised to See Mary Beth Late Last Night!

I didn't know her son, DIL and twins had moved in with them.  I find this a little confusing because not too long ago I heard her say that now that it was just the two of them (Mark and MB) and the kids out of the house, things were different.  Can't remember what item she was promoting at that time.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

@SeaMaiden You are very correct about companies not wanting older employees.  My niece and nephew are both retiring next week after working in government jobs for over 35 years.  They are in their mid-50's and very well-paid with excellent benefits.  Nephew's job is going to a call center and niece's is going to part-time subs.  The way of the world.  Also QVC wants a younger demographic and I think the older hosts will be way gone in a couple of years.  I can barely tell you the names of the new hosts and since my viewing and spending is greatly reduced , QVC will not miss me.

@bootsanne   My husband worked for a large Aero Space Company here in Seattle Wa. for 33 years.... They offered him retirement with such great incentives $$$to retire early,he could not pass the offer up....He would have continued to work for at least another 5 or so years as he was just 61 when offered retirement.  

This company, like other big corporations know that younger cheaper paid employees are less expensive to keep... no matter how much experience the  older worker offers and brings to the table.  

Honored Contributor

When its summertime lots of hosts go on vacation and others "fill in".

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

In my area I see "help wanted" signs everywhere I go. I see many retirement age people working at Walmart, grocery stores, and gas stations. They have a difficult time finding workers because young people often want higher wages, no holiday or weekends, to be off when the weather is nice, and on and on it goes. Many also lack people skills because of social media. Thank goodness these older people are willing to work. Many of our local restaurants and diners close @ 2pm because they can not find workers. 

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@AngelLove2 wrote:
SeaMaiden, you are absolutely correct. It appears the Q would like to have all younger hosts. However, some of us who have watched for years don't care for the newer hosts and they are losing our business. It will be interesting to see the next quarter report.

I don't really think management cares if we like the hosts @AngelLove2.  I read an article not too long ago stating how most of QVC sales are online and fewer sales are from TV.  As previously mentioned older hosts usually cost more, get more vacation time due to longevity, etc.  It's cheaper to use younger hosts especially since their sales are lower in that category.

@Winkk 

From Mike George himself....

Our sales declined in the quarter, a strong growth in our off-air business wasn't sufficient to offset lower sales of on-air items. Now, just a reminder on some definitions. On-air sales are sales of products that appear on the QxH TV network that calendar day, regardless of whether the customer ordered the product over the phone, on our app or through our website. And on-air sales are about two-thirds of total sales.

Off-air sales are sales of products that did not appear on a QxH network that day. And they're about a third of sales, income largely of course through our digital platforms. There is a subset of off-air sales called, digital-only sales. Those are sales of products that have never appeared on-air, and they represent about 5% of total sales in just under 15% of off-air sales.

Our declining trend in the on-air sales was driven by several categories. The seasonal categories we feature in Q1, in particular gardening and fitness underperformed. Our food and cookware sales slowed significantly.

Finally, our beauty business, which has been a strong source of growth over many years declined as sales slowed for some of our most popular brands at QVC.

Given the size of the decline and the size of QVC, it's safe to infer that we definitely saw sales erosion at the QVC, as part of that story, and kind of concentrated in those -- the on-air slowdown that I referenced in a few key categories.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I saw her and it kind of surprised me too. But what surprised me even more was seeing her a couple of weeks ago at 6:00 a.m.  I thought it was a recorded show but she was live.  And then she was live again at 6:00 a.m. the same day the following week.

She was supposed to have a static beauty show at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday evenings on Q2 but that doesn't seem to have lasted long at all.