Respected Contributor

Re: Very Strange Physician's Office!

If you have issues with concierge medicine, you're really going to love the next trend: Hospitals outfitting wards as sort of luxury hotel suites so people who aren't really sick but have $$$ can check in for pampering and hangnail remediation (I joke). My local hospital is completing a new building for that purpose. I'm lucky because my MRSA history guarantees me a single if I need in-patient care, but that's as close as I'll ever get to glam-med.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

I agree, this is not ok with me either.  Luckily, I go to a practice that will provide the same care without an annual fee.  

@CalminHeart 

I also agree! A good and caring doctor should be doing this anyway! Obviously, depending on the ailment, everyone doesn't require the same amount of time. You should always feel comfortable and confident with all your doctors. If not, find another one. Theses concierge doctors are guaranteeing their already lucrative salaries. Some take insurance and get paid from the insurance companies in addition to your joining fee.

It's not for me. I need to feel that my doctor cares about me as a person...not just a fee!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Some people have fancy houses, some people have fancy cars. Why if you can afford it not get fancy health care? Is it fair? Probably not but then teachers and police who do very hard jobs get paid very little to say a Cardi B who .....sings.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I only go for wellness/prevention right now, but I think if I developed anything I might consider a concierge practice for the convenience.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Good eye!  At least you caught it, now you can decide.

Honored Contributor

I have heard of these but I also heard that some have their own pharmacies and special diagnostic equipment such as CAT and MRI.

So it's a one-stop visit; no running to a pharmacy or a different location for testing.  I would suspect that is why the fee to join is so high.

It sounds convenient but unless the doctors are offering everything right there, it sounds as though you get a faster visit and that's it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely not! Insurance should cover most of the physician's visits, not buying-in for thousands of dollars. Run!

Honored Contributor

I heard about this 15 years ago when my urologist switched to concierge medicine. Then shortly after my daughter had it and still does. She has asthma and a very busy schedule so for her time is money. Being able to see her physician even on weekends is worth the fee...

Esteemed Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

Yes.  They are  called  "concierge Doctor's" and there are many in big cities these days.

You pay a yearly fee and they will be there for you 24/7.

Yes they are pricey.

The OP said that the doctor's office said they would treat you during regular business hours. Consierge doctors do treat you during off-hours, but I don't think hers was one of those.

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of that TV series called Royal Pains where it featured two concierge docs who worked for the rich residents of the Hamptons. Not a bad show actually.