Honored Contributor

Re: Very Strange Physician's Office!

@haddon9 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

Yes.  They are  called  "concierge Doctor's" and there are many in big cities these days.

You pay a yearly fee and they will be there for you 24/7.

Yes they are pricey.

Yes they have some in my area too.  For some people it's worth it....these doctors spend a lot of time with you and you don't feel rushed with a 15 minute visit which is more typical.

@ECBG   Your friend should have mentioned that this doctor was part of a concierge group.

@haddon9 I WISH she had!  I spent all evening filling out the blasted health forms!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

My medical dr retired (we had been together since I was in my late 20's) from the family practice I have gone to.

I would very much like to go to a female doctor and tried to get in with a female doctor which he had suggested for me whom was an intern.   

I had tried with another group, and the office mgr was so rude on the phone, I marked that office off.

I asked a friend and she raved about her doctor who is very close. 

I got the paperwork and was filling everything out.  The last page asks for a commitment to "join" the group to the tune of $2950 per year!!!!!

I won't own stock or anything. They promise to take care of me during regular business hours.

Not on any day!  Maybe some people, but this is NUTS to me!

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING MORE BAZAAR????????

@ECBG 

Not an unusual medical /dental practice.   As a new patient, a dentist years ago wanted me sign a one year commitment contract on the first appointment.  He was part of a dental group.  At the time, I was a student, poor, without dental insurance.

IMO, find another Dr. that fits your financial/lnsurance situation.

Good luck.

~Covid-19 virus. Act like you have it, even if you don’t, to protect other people. Please wear a mask, and practice social distancing.~😷🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Sadly, this has become a big trend over the past few years.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Years ago.....maybe even twenty?...........I received a letter in the mail from a doctor, describing his medical services.  I don't recall seeing a fee on his letter, though.

At the time, I was wondering if that doc was even on my medical insurance plan. 

As I recall, I had a primary doctor already.  And I thought that this doc's services wouldn't even be covered, and how could he prescribe tests, etc. if he was out of my network to begin with.

Anyway, I had a lot of questions in my mind.

I just tossed the letter out. 

Anyway, I'm glad this type of medical service has been working for other patients, though.  

Lots of good luck and good health.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

ECGB:   Isn't it something when office employees are rude!

Also, when they answer the phone or call, and they sound as though they are running a marathon.  

I know they are busy, but, working in the medical field, shouldn't they calm down / slow down, especially for their own health and well being. ?

I feel sorry for them, as some seem to be in a constant 'fight or flight' state of mind and body.  

Well, wishing all medical personnel well.  It's not an easy job now-a-days, and that's for sure. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@ECBG 

Sadly, this has become a big trend over the past few years.

@Drythe Thank you.  When I told DH a few minutes after I posted this, he was able to put his finger pretty much on a time.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

ECGB:   Isn't it something when office employees are rude!

Also, when they answer the phone or call, and they sound as though they are running a marathon.  

I know they are busy, but, working in the medical field, shouldn't they calm down / slow down, especially for their own health and well being. ?

I feel sorry for them, as some seem to be in a constant 'fight or flight' state of mind and body.  

Well, wishing all medical personnel well.  It's not an easy job now-a-days, and that's for sure. 

@ROMARY OH!  The woman I was referring to in the other office was unreal.  Phone person one, was saying the female dr had a patient availability. 

Number 2, whom I was connected with, yelled at me over the phone, because I had called a few months earlier and she told me I would have to go with the male doctor.  Her exact words were "I TOLD you if you wanted to come with this group, you would HAVE to go with Dr. XXXX!!!"!  Can you imagine that?

Honored Contributor

We have them here too. When we moved here I went to the family doctor everyone recommended right down the road from us. I loved him. He had one assistant who did everything, from chaperoning to appointments. He didn't take any insurance, but our insurance company always reimbursed us. He would joke a lot- with all of us I would go in with a sinus infection or something, and he'd tell me to go to bed for a week. Right - with two young children? I knew what he was doing!

He later became a "concierge doctor," and I had to leave. I really didn't understand how it all worked. One of my friends stayed, and they were really happy with the care the whole family got. 

Sadly he died suddenly from a heart attack  a few years ago (and he was the picture of perfect health, ran every day). Someone else took over his patients. My friend is still with her and happy in that small group. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I've never heard of that -- ridiculous.  

I would be afraid to visit a doc like that.  

@Sunshine Kate   @ECBG 

Concierge medical practices have been around for several years now.  I have a friend who has a concierge doctor, and she likes the convenience very much.

It's sort of like paying an attorney an annual fee to keep them "on retainer", and they take care of all your legal needs.  .    

Honored Contributor

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin