Honored Contributor

Very Strange Physician's Office!

My medical dr retired (we had been together since I was in my late 20's) from the family practice I have gone to.

I would very much like to go to a female doctor and tried to get in with a female doctor which he had suggested for me whom was an intern.   

I had tried with another group, and the office mgr was so rude on the phone, I marked that office off.

I asked a friend and she raved about her doctor who is very close. 

I got the paperwork and was filling everything out.  The last page asks for a commitment to "join" the group to the tune of $2950 per year!!!!!

I won't own stock or anything. They promise to take care of me during regular business hours.

Not on any day!  Maybe some people, but this is NUTS to me!

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING MORE BAZAAR????????

Trusted Contributor

Re: Very Strange Physician's Office!

Yes.  They are  called  "concierge Doctor's" and there are many in big cities these days.

You pay a yearly fee and they will be there for you 24/7.

Yes they are pricey.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Isn't that a Concierge Medical Practice?

Super Contributor

@ECBG I have heard of this before.  A few year ago, I looked up one of my old physicians and was so happy to find her after so many years.  It was a turn off when I had to join by paying a few thousands of dollars.  I said to myself, "no way, not in addition to my health insurance!"  I had never heard of such a thing.  I don't blame you for feeling that way.  Luckily, I saw this information on her website.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep...concierge medicine. If you join, you will not have to pay for visits BUT they will not file your insurance. They should give you an encounter form to file it yourself. Your insurance company will not reimburse the yearly membership fee.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Frequent Contributor

This sounds like a concierge practice. They charge a separate membership fee and have fewer patients per doctor so they can provide more time and supposedly more personal care to their patients. My friend belongs to one but on a lesser tier at only $250 a year. She does get faster appts.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

Yes.  They are  called  "concierge Doctor's" and there are many in big cities these days.

Yes they are pricey.

Yes they have some in my area too.  For some people it's worth it....these doctors spend a lot of time with you and you don't feel rushed with a 15 minute visit which is more typical.

@ECBG   Your friend should have mentioned that this doctor was part of a concierge group.

Respected Contributor

I've never heard of that -- ridiculous.  

I would be afraid to visit a doc like that.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

Yes they are pricey.

Yes they have some in my area too.  For some people it's worth it....these doctors spend a lot of time with you and you don't feel rushed with a 15 minute visit which is more typical.

@ECBG   Your friend should have mentioned that this doctor was part of a concierge group.

@haddon9  My boyfriend has it and loves it.  He's in

very good health but enjoy's the fact that if he needs immediate medical care he will get it.  Plus they take their time and go over everything.  No time limits.

I'm jealous. lol.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 @Sunshine Kate @haddon9 @dollgal 

@MamaWick 

Looking at their web site, they will meet me at the emergency room.

Geeeeeee........