Honored Contributor

Re: Very Strange Physician's Office!

@LexaMom wrote:

I am also doctor shopping right now.  My doctor of 32 years retired this summer.   Make sure - before you waste a lot of time that you check out their website.  It will tell you if they are a concierge service or what kinds of insurance they accept.  I've seen a few so far in my search.

@LexaMom 

Believe me, I certainly will check out websites first!  I had no idea of such a thing!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

@AngelPuppy1 I think it would be terrible to have a law against this!  It gives people an option to select a doctor who doesn't follow the many heavy handed insurance rules and has a bit more freedom to practice as they see fit.

My DH doesn't go to a concierge doctor but he sees someone who charges us $200.00 each time for an office visit (he doesn't take insurance) which lasts a full uninterrupted 45 minutes.  He's an integrated doctor who does both traditional and alternative medicine.  You can't get that with a regular doctor and for DH it's very important. 

It's still a free country and people should be able to choose the type of doctor that they want to see.  Not everyone fits into what is now the norm of the typical quick doctor visits.

@haddon9  Agreed.  Now, if only we could get something besides that one-size-fits-all health insurance that is so ridiculously expensive, not to mention the $6500 deductible, and that is for the cheap plan.  I know they do have them in other states.  TN had them even before the penalty for not having an ACA plan was eliminated, and people would pay the penalty because the health insurance was that much cheaper.  I pay a lot more than I was paying before for a high deductible plan that had the same deductible as this "covers everything including stuff I don't want or need" plan.  

From what I have heard from people using ACA doctors, the doctor visit often involves the doctor spending most of his time sitting at the computer inputting all the ACA-required info on the patient and very little time actually working with the patient.  My doctor doesn't even have a computer in the exam rooms.  I also get a full physical every year that's paid for by the yearly fee.  And my doctor's office DOES file my insurance for what it's worth although I never even reach my deductible, so they're not paying anything.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Absolutely not! Insurance should cover most of the physician's visits, not buying-in for thousands of dollars. Run!

What if you have The great Affordable Health insurance ( Obama Care ) and have a $6000 deductible per year and this "wonderful" insurance costs you about $1000 a month?

This type of care would be a bargain...and yes, many people do have high deductibles and high payments.  My son who is young and single had such a plan.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

If you have issues with concierge medicine, you're really going to love the next trend: Hospitals outfitting wards as sort of luxury hotel suites so people who aren't really sick but have $$$ can check in for pampering and hangnail remediation (I joke). My local hospital is completing a new building for that purpose. I'm lucky because my MRSA history guarantees me a single if I need in-patient care, but that's as close as I'll ever get to glam-med.

@noodleann that's nothing new.  It may be becoming more common, but this has been available to celebrities since forever.  I'm fine with it, but they need to quit telling the rest of us how to live our lives.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

@AngelPuppy1 I think it would be terrible to have a law against this!  It gives people an option to select a doctor who doesn't follow the many heavy handed insurance rules and has a bit more freedom to practice as they see fit.

My DH doesn't go to a concierge doctor but he sees someone who charges us $200.00 each time for an office visit (he doesn't take insurance) which lasts a full uninterrupted 45 minutes.  He's an integrated doctor who does both traditional and alternative medicine.  You can't get that with a regular doctor and for DH it's very important. 

It's still a free country and people should be able to choose the type of doctor that they want to see.  Not everyone fits into what is now the norm of the typical quick doctor visits.

@haddon9  Agreed.  Now, if only we could get something besides that one-size-fits-all health insurance that is so ridiculously expensive, not to mention the $6500 deductible, and that is for the cheap plan.  I know they do have them in other states.  TN had them even before the penalty for not having an ACA plan was eliminated, and people would pay the penalty because the health insurance was that much cheaper.  I pay a lot more than I was paying before for a high deductible plan that had the same deductible as this "covers everything including stuff I don't want or need" plan.  

From what I have heard from people using ACA doctors, the doctor visit often involves the doctor spending most of his time sitting at the computer inputting all the ACA-required info on the patient and very little time actually working with the patient.  My doctor doesn't even have a computer in the exam rooms.  I also get a full physical every year that's paid for by the yearly fee.  And my doctor's office DOES file my insurance for what it's worth although I never even reach my deductible, so they're not paying anything.

@Icegoddess  My doctor spends most of her time on the computer also. I am on Medicare and have never been on ACA. So it happens in other situations.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

If you have issues with concierge medicine, you're really going to love the next trend: Hospitals outfitting wards as sort of luxury hotel suites so people who aren't really sick but have $$$ can check in for pampering and hangnail remediation (I joke). My local hospital is completing a new building for that purpose. I'm lucky because my MRSA history guarantees me a single if I need in-patient care, but that's as close as I'll ever get to glam-med.

@noodleann 

That defies description!  If they are so well off they can't stand themselves, why not champion a medical cause like cancer which doesn't look at your finances first!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Icegoddess  My doctor spends most of her time on the computer also. I am on Medicare and have never been on ACA. So it happens in other situations.

@proudlyfromNJ ACA & Medicare are both government run programs.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

My medical dr retired (we had been together since I was in my late 20's) from the family practice I have gone to.

I would very much like to go to a female doctor and tried to get in with a female doctor which he had suggested for me whom was an intern.   

I had tried with another group, and the office mgr was so rude on the phone, I marked that office off.

I asked a friend and she raved about her doctor who is very close. 

I got the paperwork and was filling everything out.  The last page asks for a commitment to "join" the group to the tune of $2950 per year!!!!!

I won't own stock or anything. They promise to take care of me during regular business hours.

Not on any day!  Maybe some people, but this is NUTS to me!

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING MORE BAZAAR????????

@ECBG     If you want GOOD CARE and can afford this.. it is worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

Absolutely not! Insurance should cover most of the physician's visits, not buying-in for thousands of dollars. Run!

What if you have The great Affordable Health insurance ( Obama Care ) and have a $6000 deductible per year and this "wonderful" insurance costs you about $1000 a month?

This type of care would be a bargain...and yes, many people do have high deductibles and high payments.  My son who is young and single had such a plan.

@Carmie I'm not young, but I am healthy and I have such a plan.  $6500 deductible, over $950/month for what?  A bit of a discount on prescriptions?  I would rather have a more affordable plan and just pay the prescriptions out of pocket along with my "free" mammogram and bi-annual pap smear.  Oh, if he has BCBS he should get a 20% discount on his premium in November.  Woo Hoo!  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ ACA & Medicare are both government run programs.

@Icegoddess  Oh sorry. She just started this about a year ago. I guess some edict came down or something to start using the computer after 10 years.