Valued Contributor

Re: Very Strange Physician's Office!

I am also doctor shopping right now.  My doctor of 32 years retired this summer.   Make sure - before you waste a lot of time that you check out their website.  It will tell you if they are a concierge service or what kinds of insurance they accept.  I've seen a few so far in my search.

Respected Contributor

My dr retired last year and I had gone to him forever at a big clinic. I hated the thought but I stayed at the same clinic and went to the dr he recommended. I was worried because of the meds I take that not every dr will prescribe.

A year plus later I can't tell you how pleased I am, he takes all the time in the world with me and is much more thorough than my old one. He even did some phone appts back in March when I didn't want to go in. 

The only issue I have is that I really have to book ahead with the new dr and the old dr I could get in the next day.

Respected Contributor

They're called "Concierge Doctors".  You pay a yearly fee and you get to see the doctor, usually whenever you want.  

Respected Contributor

I pay $1,650 per year to see my doctor. Saw her before she joined this group. She was always good, took her time with you never rushed. With an appointment you can plan on an hour with her. Only stayed with her because I knew she was good. 

Honored Contributor

It is pretty common in the NYC area, think of the TV show Royal Pains and my doctor did not meet my in the ER either, it is not done any longer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

This may be a stupid question, but does that yearly fee take care of all the fees you may incur with doctors' visits, however many?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

I completely agree, @AngelPuppy1 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I never heard of this and I think it's terrible!  We pay a lot for medical care in my opinion as it is.  These doctors are getting very greedy.  Yes, we need them, but they signed up to do what they do and they get paid pretty well.  I think this should be against the law to do this.  

@AngelPuppy1 I think it would be terrible to have a law against this!  It gives people an option to select a doctor who doesn't follow the many heavy handed insurance rules and has a bit more freedom to practice as they see fit.

My DH doesn't go to a concierge doctor but he sees someone who charges us $200.00 each time for an office visit (he doesn't take insurance) which lasts a full uninterrupted 45 minutes.  He's an integrated doctor who does both traditional and alternative medicine.  You can't get that with a regular doctor and for DH it's very important. 

It's still a free country and people should be able to choose the type of doctor that they want to see.  Not everyone fits into what is now the norm of the typical quick doctor visits.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

This may be a stupid question, but does that yearly fee take care of all the fees you may incur with doctors' visits, however many?

@Harpa Not a stupid question...each is different in how much they charge and what they offer....it's best to check out each concierge doctor's website and ask any questions before signing up.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I agree, this is not ok with me either.  Luckily, I go to a practice that will provide the same care without an annual fee.