Esteemed Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Very Sad - Another Newly Wed with a Brain Tumor

read about this earlier............I wish them luck.................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Super Contributor

That's very sad. Another young person with brain cancer. I wonder if there's any correlation with prolonged cell phone use? Wasn't that discussed in the medical community a few years ago?

Honored Contributor

so sad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Again why is this publicized?

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly, there are adults and children who are diagnosed every day.

Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 soxfan said:

That's very sad. Another young person with brain cancer. I wonder if there's any correlation with prolonged cell phone use? Wasn't that discussed in the medical community a few years ago?

There are many in the medical community that believe there is a correlation between the explosion in brain cancer and cell phones. That's why I refuse to give up my landline. My cell phone is only for emergencies and quick calls. Experts say that if you must talk on a cell for long periods of time, hold the cell 1/4" away from your ear and keep switching back and forth from ear to ear.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Yes, it is indeed sad - just as it is when anyone is diagnosed with cancer. I'm not why it should make a difference that the patient is a newlywed.

I also wonder why this story in particular is news.

Super Contributor

Brain Tumors do not discriminate. Primary brain tumors - those that begin in the brain and tend to stay in the brain - occur in people of all ages, but they are statistically more frequent in children and older adults. Metastatic brain tumors - those that begin as a cancer elsewhere in the body and spread to the brain - are more common in adults than children.

Brain tumors are the:

• second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in children (males and females) under age 20 (leukemia is the first).
  • second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in males ages 20-39 (leukemia is the first).
  • fifth leading cause of cancer-related deaths in females ages 20-39.

The facts and statistics here include brain and central nervous system tumors (including spinal cord, pituitary and pineal gland tumors). We continually update these statistics, as they become available. This material was last updated in November 2012. We thank the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States (CBTRUS) for their assistance with that update.

These numbers address incidence, trends and patterns in the United States only. For more information, please visit CBTRUS at www.cbtrus.org.

Incidence Statistics

An estimated 69,720 new cases of primary brain tumors are expected to be diagnosed in 2013 and includes both malignant (24,620) and non-malignant (45,100) brain tumors. These estimates are based on an application of age-s*e**x-race-specific incidence rates from the 2013 CBTRUS Statistical Report using SEER and NPCR data to project 2013 US population estimates for the respective age-s*e**x-race groups (estimation methodology can be found athttp://www.idph.state.il.us/cancer/statistics.htm#PR).

In 2013, approximately 4,300 children younger than age 20 will be diagnosed with primary brain tumors, of which 3,050 will be under age 15.

Prevalence Statistics

It is estimated that during the year 2010 more than 688,096 people in the United States were living with the diagnosis of a primary brain or central nervous system tumor. Specifically, more than 138,054 persons were living with a malignant tumor and more than 550,042 persons were living with a non-malignant tumor.

Honored Contributor

One thing good about the texting craze. None of the kids use the phone for talking, they all just text.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986