Honored Contributor

Very Interesting Observation and admirable new ways to do business

[ Edited ]

Last night, (and I do not remember his name), a man observed that if we as a country had been more prepared for this virus and taken necessary actions earlier, we would not now have to make the bad choices between saving businesses or saving lives.

We would have been able to do both.

So now, he said we are dealing with where we are and have to do both together.

Anyway, I would think everyone wants both. So we go from here.

As one wise poster observed, people would feel a lot better about these early openings (despite cases and deaths going up in most places),

if people did all they could to protect themselves, others, and the employees opening their business.,

and not acting like there is no virus at all.

How to do this with what we have?

-Though we are all sick of this phrase, "social distancing," keep doing it, at least 6 feet apart.

-Yes wear masks-better than nothing.

(and I believe we always would have benefited from wearing them but were told not to so there would have been enough for health care workers.

We were told and begged not to wear them and that they wouldn't protect us. Well that wasn't true. Why didn't they just say, it would be better if we all had them but we don't so sorry.)

But that is just how I feel.

-No large gatherings

-wash hands, a lot, and for 20 seconds (nurses and doctors have always done this, now we all need to).

Hope and pray for the best (that means not dying!)

-and hopefully many businesses figuring out how more work can be done at home.

Yes, not even the experts know everything at all about this ever changing virus, even now with new more virulent mutations of it they are discovering.

It would be good if changes were repeated and acknowledged I think, like saying oh they made a mistake in thinking the elderly and health compromised were most at risk and that's understandable that they didn't know, because they are just discovering things everyday. Just emphasize this and other changes now, through news every night, every station!

So many especially young people are still not thinking they are in as much danger as the elderly, sometimes more so. Scientists don't  yet know why some die and some don't.

But here is some uplifting news.

Many businesses are using new and innovative ways to keep their business going or opening up with new ways of doing things.

One small clothing and gift shop said they are going to wipe down everything a customer touches.

They also will have private shopping times after hours for people who feel more comfortable doing that or with a small group of their friends.

And another store said they will have lists that people can touch their choice instead of touching each thing in the store.

Figuring out how many customers will equal only 20% in the store.

All these efforts are so admirable in these impossible times.

I bet we will be hearing more every day about how creative and smart people and businesses are making the best new normal they can.

Hopefully they will be supported in every way by their communities, customers, and their government.

I hope those stimulus checks and unemployment money that was supposed to come in, happen soon for all!

So many things we as a country could have done much better, but we are having to go from where we are.

Learning new ways to deal with this every day, from the people at home, to the teachers online,and parents becoming teachers, and workers at home and mothers to all,

to those in the midst of the dying and the sick, we carry on. It will be good to hear the stories of hopeful ways to live in this new "normal" of ours.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Very Interesting Observation and admirable new ways to do business

@on the bay Very thoughtfully written.  Well done!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Things will change and in many cases, they should have changed long ago.  Who didn't know that the belts at the markets, and the keypads, were seldom ever cleaned?

dont even get me started on how dirty airplanes were in recent times. On one of my flights last fall, before we landed, the flight attendant made an annoucement, saying that there would be a very tight connection, so could we all clean off our tray tables, since there wouldn't be time for the ground crew to do that!

Esteemed Contributor

Since probably the dot com bust, Americans have been told to keep an emergency fund to tide you over. Have we ever told that to a business? Let's see your books? Do you have cash reserves? No. Today, everything is "highly leveraged".

A local company that owns 5 restaurant locations filed bankruptcy citing Covid 19. The owner of the strip mall said this tenant was in trouble last winter and couldn't pay rent. Now they are using the pandemic to file CH 11 liquidation.

Oh yeah, the company received PPP funds ok'd by a federal judge. These funds are not to be given to bankrupt companies. The judge thought otherwise. 

Valued Contributor

@ on the bay - So well-written.

I think one of the main challenges we are facing now is the refusal of more and more people to wear masks.  I just don't understand it.  Yes I know it is uncomfortable.  My husband went food shopping this morning and came home with his poor face in a pool of sweat,  I am thankful the store will not allow anyone in without a mask and all employees must wear one, too.  I feel sorry for the employees, who must wear them all day.  

We know we should have been wearing masks all along.  Even if we would have been told to just put a scarf or bandana on it would have helped.  I ordered masks for us when this started and we have been wearing them since we were told we don't need them.  It only makes sense that they are somewhat protective.

I am very angry at what I have been seeing, both in person and on TV.  People demonstrating about their rights.  Oh, they just will NOT be told what to do.  Right now, living in the country "of the free" isn't so great.

Good luck to us all.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant -

I wasn't sure but yes you were the wise poster who talked about how we could feel more confident about businesses opening if people and businesses would observe all the safety precautions. I thought that was a very observant and helpful post, so thank you for that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Wow...wish this unknown man had used that crystal ball sooner.  Could have saved the world.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wow...wish this unknown man had used that crystal ball sooner.  Could have saved the world.

As I recall, there was no crystal ball involved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't see the date on this "observation ", or might I have missed it? If not I will apologize ahead of time. Reading this got me thinking of 1 of my co-workers, like myself, he liked to bet on football games. 

Without fail, on Monday he would tell me all the winners he had over the weekend. He also was a horse race fan, the betting type. He only talked about the money part "after a fairly big win", not a peep about his loses.

He was/is known, in football terms, a Monday morning quarterback. As in "hind sight is always 20-20. Now if only we could all have the "whatever", to know the future?

What he said about the present is pretty much what I have heard from many scholars, and other professionals, from several different specialties. 

This is just my observation while, and after, reading his.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There are many perspectives on what was or wasn't done during the beginning stages of the virus, and flat statements about it -- one way or the other-- tend to be colored by political considerations.  There are very clear and undisputed timelines though, about what was being done behind the scenes, and that has often been lost or obscured.

So I would have to know more about this unnamed gentleman's perspective to be able to judge.  As for now, going forward, the frustrating thing about the virus is that there is an ever-evolving base of our understandings of it, and whom it effects the most, and why, among other things.  Models have proven to be wrong.  The knowledge base moves slowly, and at times has been contradictory.  The "final word" on all of it is unfortunately some way distant in the future, it seems.