Esteemed Contributor

Re: Very Interesting Observation and admirable new ways to do business

Hindsight is always 20/20 right?  

If I had it I would had my oil changed and got a truckload of TP in February.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

@ on the bay - So well-written.

I think one of the main challenges we are facing now is the refusal of more and more people to wear masks.  I just don't understand it.  Yes I know it is uncomfortable.  My husband went food shopping this morning and came home with his poor face in a pool of sweat,  I am thankful the store will not allow anyone in without a mask and all employees must wear one, too.  I feel sorry for the employees, who must wear them all day.  

We know we should have been wearing masks all along.  Even if we would have been told to just put a scarf or bandana on it would have helped.  I ordered masks for us when this started and we have been wearing them since we were told we don't need them.  It only makes sense that they are somewhat protective.

I am very angry at what I have been seeing, both in person and on TV.  People demonstrating about their rights.  Oh, they just will NOT be told what to do.  Right now, living in the country "of the free" isn't so great.

Good luck to us all.

@Tessa Mendoza  After my first 2 hour shop and wait in line at Sam's wearing my mask, I asked my daughter, a hygienist for 20 yrs. how the heck she wears it all day. She said the first weeks in dental school, she'd sweat and be uncomfortable and little by little, your body adapts. She doesn't even notice it now. She wears a "high tech" mask and the disposable ones over that one that are changed for each "victim". Before asking, BE powder foundation and lip balm are the only thing that doesn't sweat off. She's tried a lot. 

Honored Contributor

Wow! 

If government had acted as and when they should, thousands of lives could have been saved.

Neither he nor anyone saves the world or was trying to say he could but what would have changed our now that we are in, if we had acted quicker, and how do we go from here.

This was just an expert on CNN last night/ I believe he was an infectious disease expert as you are not,seeing how things might have been.

He wasn't trying to be a "Monday morning quarterback" just acknowledging what could have happened and where we go from here.

And it is about time that people with comments meant to divide, go back in their corner and talk to themselves or the wall, because if we are not together on all of this and how best to go forward for each other, we will lose many more including maybe you, or you , or me.

Everyone who must post against every person and everything, why don't you use every brain cell you have for coming up with creative and helpful solutions to how we go forward.

I know there are not all scientists or doctors or researchers here and I know a lot of posters here are helping in their families and communities as much as possible.

All of us-be one of those people!

It's not about arguing on a forum or coming up with what you think is a clever backlash of a reply or who can sound the most intellectual

or the most negative and divisive for that matter.

These words from that beautiful song "Heal the World," are eerily fitting-

"There are ways to get there
If you care enough for the living
Make a little space
Make a better place
Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough for the living
Make it a better place
For you and for me"

I still don't think it is too naive to believe there is some good in all of us here.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

I didn't see the date on this "observation ", or might I have missed it? If not I will apologize ahead of time. Reading this got me thinking of 1 of my co-workers, like myself, he liked to bet on football games. 

Without fail, on Monday he would tell me all the winners he had over the weekend. He also was a horse race fan, the betting type. He only talked about the money part "after a fairly big win", not a peep about his loses.

He was/is known, in football terms, a Monday morning quarterback. As in "hind sight is always 20-20. Now if only we could all have the "whatever", to know the future?

What he said about the present is pretty much what I have heard from many scholars, and other professionals, from several different specialties. 

This is just my observation while, and after, reading his.

hckynut 🏒

Well Said !!!

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  Thank you so much!  If only people would listen carefully to what you wrote.  I did and will try my best to think of others every day.

Valued Contributor

@ Shanus - "Victim" is right.lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

Last night, (and I do not remember his name), a man observed that if we as a country had been more prepared for this virus and taken necessary actions earlier, we would not now have to make the bad choices between saving businesses or saving lives.

We would have been able to do both.

So now, he said we are dealing with where we are and have to do both together.

Anyway, I would think everyone wants both. So we go from here.

As one wise poster observed, people would feel a lot better about these early openings (despite cases and deaths going up in most places),

if people did all they could to protect themselves, others, and the employees opening their business.,

and not acting like there is no virus at all.

How to do this with what we have?

-Though we are all sick of this phrase, "social distancing," keep doing it, at least 6 feet apart.

-Yes wear masks-better than nothing.

(and I believe we always would have benefited from wearing them but were told not to so there would have been enough for health care workers.

We were told and begged not to wear them and that they wouldn't protect us. Well that wasn't true. Why didn't they just say, it would be better if we all had them but we don't so sorry.)

But that is just how I feel.

-No large gatherings

-wash hands, a lot, and for 20 seconds (nurses and doctors have always done this, now we all need to).

Hope and pray for the best )that means not dying!)

-and hopefully many businesses figuring out how more work can be done at home.

Yes, not even the experts know everything at all about this ever changing virus, even now with new more virulent mutations of it they are discovering.

It would be good if changes were repeated and acknowledged I think, like saying oh they made a mistake in thinking the elderly and health compromised were most at risk and that's understandable that they didn't know, because they are just discovering things everyday. Just emphasize this and other changes now, through news every night, every station!

So many especially young people are still not thinking they are in as much danger as the elderly, sometimes more so. Scientists don't  yet know why some die and some don't.

But here is some uplifting news.

Many businesses are using new and innovative ways to keep their business going or opening up with new ways of doing things.

One small clothing and gift shop said they are going to wipe down everything a customer touches.

They also will have private shopping times after hours for people who feel more comfortable doing that or with a small group of their friends.

And another store said they will have lists that people can touch their choice instead of touching each thing in the store.

Figuring out how many customers will equal only 50% in the store.

All these efforts are so admirable in these impossible times.

I bet we will be hearing more every day about how creative and smart people and businesses are making the best new normal they can.

Hopefully they will be supported in every way by their communities, customers, and their government.

I hope those stimulus checks and unemployment money that was supposed to come in, happen soon for all!

So many things we as a country could have done much better, but we are having to go from where we are.

Learning new ways to deal with this every day, from the people at home, to the teachers online,and parents becoming teachers, and workers at home and mothers to all,

to those in the midst of the dying and the sick, we carry on. It will be good to hear the stories of hopeful ways to live in this new "normal" of ours.

About the mask thing.....going back to late February, the CDC was not advising the public to not wear face masks.

You can go back on Google a hundred pages or simply google CDC Feb 27 which says in part "The CDC does not currently recommend the use of face masks to help prevent the novel corona virus.  Take everyday preventative actions like staying home when you are sick and wash hands with soap and water to help slow the spread of respiratory illness."

The Surgeon General was going by what the CDC recommended.

The WHO also was saying at the same time, wash hands and cough/sneeze in the crook of your arm.

Honored Contributor

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but for those making the decisions, it wasn't available.  

What I would have done initially and wondering why not at that time, is not what was done.  

It's wonderful to have foresight, but it's not often reliable.  What the OP said is correct.  We are here now and must carry on from this point.