Respected Contributor
What about idear instead of idea. Is that a southern/country thing? I've heard more than one of my relatives say that, but we are sort of hillbillies 😄. That one drives me nuts!
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I teach English, so I've probably heard them all! Smiley LOL

Some of the ones mentioned are cultural dialects. Two others that come to mind for me:

"bu-tt" - when it means a specific part of your body

"Me and (insert name)" used as a subject

We were waiting in line once for a popular ride at a theme park. The wait was about one hour (our children were young at the time). The party in front of us kept changing, as different members would come and take the place of others waiting. That was bad enough, but one girl in her late teens kept turning and shouting to someone, "Me and Jen are going on (insert ride) after this." And when I put "insert ride," I meant she named them ALL - over and over at the top of her lungs. She was right on top of me when she turned around. She was also hot and wet from another ride. It was all I could do not to correct her! Smiley Wink

That relates to what I was going to ask you.  This topic of saying things wrong, one of my pet peeves is when people put themselves first in  a sentence.  For instance me and my Mom went shopping.  I thought you always put yourself last, my Mom and I went shopping.  I hear this all the time by everyone and it drives me crazy.  Or, am I wrong?

Super Contributor

I hate it when SG says "Brend-er" and "Lis-er".  It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:
What about idear instead of idea. Is that a southern/country thing? I've heard more than one of my relatives say that, but we are sort of hillbillies 😄. That one drives me nuts!

I would think that is a northern accent, sort of a Boston accent.

I've never heard anyone with a southern accent do the "R" thing at the end.

Super Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

I would think that is a northern accent, sort of a Boston accent.

I've never heard anyone with a southern accent do the "R" thing at the end.

"Idear" is like Jeff Foxworthy redneck talk.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Respected Contributor
That's a good point but the only relatives that say it have a very, and I mean very country twang and they've probably never been north of Atlanta. It's interesting for sure.
Valued Contributor

I also don't like "gifted" in place of "gave".  Sometimes people have to practically strangle a sentence to use it.  "I was gifted a salad bowl by my mom" or "I gifted my best friend with a pair of earrings".  

Perhaps the people who use the expression think it sounds more elegant? Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor
You're right, it does sound like Jeff F. It's only the older relatives. Us youngins are all educated, lol. I'm not making fun....love them all and love the country twang. I still have a bit myself. Sorry if my posts are confusing. My reply to post doesn't work right so hope this stays in some order.
Respected Contributor

I don't like the word conversate.  

Honored Contributor
Here's another one I don't like and many people on other threads have listed this one or mentioned it before.

"On the day". 3,000 of these have been sold on the day. I'm 59 years old and have never heard that used till a few months ago.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?