Trusted Contributor

Bathroom instead of restroom.  "I" in place of "me".  "Awsome" to describe anything.

Honored Contributor

Do you know what I'm Saying, about 10 times ,in a short space of timeWoman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Verbal pet peeves

[ Edited ]

I teach English, so I've probably heard them all! Smiley LOL

Some of the ones mentioned are cultural dialects. Two others that come to mind for me:

"bu-tt" - when it means a specific part of your body

"Me and (insert name)" used as a subject

We were waiting in line once for a popular ride at a theme park. The wait was about one hour (our children were young at the time). The party in front of us kept changing, as different members would come and take the place of others waiting. That was bad enough, but one girl in her late teens kept turning and shouting to someone, "Me and Jen are going on (insert ride) after this." And when I put "insert ride," I meant she named them ALL - over and over at the top of her lungs. She was right on top of me when she turned around. She was also hot and wet from another ride. It was all I could do not to correct her! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Verbal pet peeves

[ Edited ]

@kittymomNC wrote:

Remember "W" ?  Famous for "nucular" instead of "nuclear"...

Some dumb congressman was on CNN last night saying it the same way.  I muted it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@kittymomNC wrote:

Some dumb congressman was on QVC last night saying it the same way.  I muted it.

Laughing smiley face animated emoticon  Sometimes I can't believe what I hear come out of the mouths of supposedly "educated" people, and they get elected to office!  

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@kittymomNC wrote:

Some dumb congressman was on CNN last night saying it the same way.  I muted it.

Ike said it the same way.

Honored Contributor

Her/him and I as the subjects of a sentence.

Valued Contributor

I'm getting really sick of "buttah"  (butter)

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

I seen it on TV....

We've went  there before....

Oh, give me strength when I hear variations of those... Pulling Hair animated emoticon

Respected Contributor
Nassau for NASA. And I did it the other day, I couldn't believe it! My husband just looked at me like, really? And I said "omg did I just say Nassau?" What?? Lol