Super Contributor

One of mine just happened on the Q during the Dooney show.   They meant to say "cavalry" (battles, war, guns, etc.), but they both said Calvary (Jesus, cross, crown of thorns, etc.)

I teach - what's your superpower?
Esteemed Contributor

People who should know better saying "jewlery" instead of "jewelry" - SG designs and sells it, but she never pronounces it correctly!  

Honored Contributor
"Aks" for ask.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Remember "W" ?  Famous for "nucular" instead of "nuclear"...

Esteemed Contributor

Non-verbal peeve? Texting! Dumbest technological regression this techno-nut has ever seen.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

People who should know better saying "jewlery" instead of "jewelry" - SG designs and sells it, but she never pronounces it correctly!  

I think it's just a slip of the tongue, she knows better, she's an educated woman.

Esteemed Contributor

@baker wrote:

@kittymomNC wrote:

I think it's just a slip of the tongue, she knows better, she's an educated woman.

I know she is, which is all the more reason for the correct pronunciation, but she NEVER pronounces it correctly.... I'm sorry, but I don't consider that a slip of the tongue.  Maybe once or twice, but she always pronounces it the same way.   I used to sell jewelry and do fashion shows for women's groups... sometimes there were kids there and they could pronounce it correctly.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Verbal pet peeves

[ Edited ]
That being said or with that said
Realaty instead of realty
Jewelery
We're pregnant
Little man for a baby or toddler boy
Aks instead of ask
Loose when they mean lose
You got this (my latest addition to the list)
It's all good (no...sometimes it really isn't)
Change is good
Belly (instead of stomach)

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Every time I hear someone say "between you and *I*," I get stabby.

Honored Contributor
Many of my verbal pet peeves are just wrong pronunciations that anyone on national television should not be doing, and I hear them on the news, in program narrations, and on a variety of television shows.

I watch a channel now called AWE (A Wealth of Entertainment), formerly Wealth TV, which caters, or used to, to wealthy men and their female companions.

Their "show hosts", and the narration for almost every program broadcast, are women with the most execrable voices I have ever heard. They are meant to sound babydoll-ish and "cutesy-dumb", and this is combined with some appalling pronunciations that I can only guess are the result of heavy, unattractive regional accents being modified by voice lessons that never quite took.

What is most wince-inducing are the travel shows (mainly why I watch at all), where foreign words are totally mispronounced in very deliberate way - like as bad as saying tay-co for taco. On national television. On a channel geared towards wealthy world travelers. I think of the narration as bimb*-speak. Presumably it makes the male viewers all warm & fuzzy.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all