Honored Contributor

Re: Venting! So tired of hearing the host say I LOVE YOU to vendors!

Lots of people say I love you when closing a show, talkingon phone, or after an in person visit.  My grandkids say it when they hang up phone, they say it to their moms when they hang up phone.  My cousin says she says it so people will know she cares in case she kicks the bucket the next minute.   I know some words and gestures  seem redundant, but they mean well.  I guess it can seem meanngless to some.  love and hate have such vocal reactions these days.  Things will change, and it will be something else better love than hate.

personally, i think it is better to work on curbing catch phrases in our vocabulary.  I think words like radical, groovy, bitchin, exactly, awesome, man, it is what is, and such have seen better days.  It is better to use these phrases less often as a surprise, not part of every sentence.  Jmho

Respected Contributor

Who are they saying "I love you" to? Does Rick or David also say "I love you"? I can imagine David saying it to a cookie, but the camera? The invisible audience?

The things I miss, not having TV. Thanks the gods.

Honored Contributor

We are all entitled to our own pet peeves. But people saying I love you too often, or when they really mean I like you does not bother me at all.

What bothers me more is the pervasive casual use of violent language. Saying "I'll kill him." And that awful gesture younger people sometimes make with two fingers pretending to shoot themselves in the head as an expression of being exasperated. Yuuuuuuuuuuck. Ick. Bleah. Cancel!

That stuff bothers me and nobody ever comments on it. Cumulatively, I don't think it's good for us and we should take more care with how we talk if we want a more peaceful world to live in.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Lots of people say I love you when closing a show, talkingon phone, or after an in person visit.  My grandkids say it when they hang up phone, they say it to their moms when they hang up phone.  My cousin says she says it so people will know she cares in case she kicks the bucket the next minute.   I know some words and gestures  seem redundant, but they mean well.  I guess it can seem meanngless to some.  love and hate have such vocal reactions these days.  Things will change, and it will be something else better love than hate.

personally, i think it is better to work on curbing catch phrases in our vocabulary.  I think words like radical, groovy, bitchin, exactly, awesome, man, it is what is, and such have seen better days.  It is better to use these phrases less often as a surprise, not part of every sentence.  Jmho

Another "catch phrase" I'm tired of: It's summer, right? Tomorrow is Tuesday, right.

"Right" after every statement vs. asking a question, is way overused today. 

Respected Contributor

The love part is to want you to want it more, and the name dropping is to sway you into buying because of the celebrity loving it.

The word love is used for anything and everything today and has no longer that deep meaning.

The celebrity of Oprah would have me not wanting anything. Not a bash, just a fact.

Honored Contributor

@LillyandHobo - I see this as mostly a millennial thing, especially with girls. I use the example of when DD left for college. She was the only one of her close friends going away. Her three friends slept over. Of course no one got any sleep. The next  morning there were tons of tears, and more "I love you. I'm going to miss you so much-es than I'd ever heard! You would have thought she was going thousands of miles away! A week later, Labor Day weekend, she was back home for the break and they were all here again! (To this day those three and DD are still close, even though one lives far away.)

So I got used to hearing it.

Since the pandemic  I  have not seen my close friends in person. We end  every phone call with ILY. At one time I couldn't imagine saying this to anyone but my family, but I miss my friends and I FEEL it, so why not say it?

I imagine the hosts and some vendors have developed a close friendship over the years. Maybe that's why they say it? They probably mean it.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

An Oprah bashing thread? Do we need this in our lives?

I don't know about you, but it sure made me happy. I have never liked her. Self centered nobody.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Who are they saying "I love you" to? Does Rick or David also say "I love you"? I can imagine David saying it to a cookie, but the camera? The invisible audience?

The things I miss, not having TV. Thanks the gods.

@LillyandHobo    No, David would say it to mac 'n cheese with bacon.

Rick just loves Rick.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@LillyandHobo - I see this as mostly a millennial thing, especially with girls. I use the example of when DD left for college. She was the only one of her close friends going away. Her three friends slept over. Of course no one got any sleep. The next  morning there were tons of tears, and more "I love you. I'm going to miss you so much-es than I'd ever heard! You would have thought she was going thousands of miles away! A week later, Labor Day weekend, she was back home for the break and they were all here again! (To this day those three and DD are still close, even though one lives far away.)

So I got used to hearing it.

Since the pandemic  I  have not seen my close friends in person. We end  every phone call with ILY. At one time I couldn't imagine saying this to anyone but my family, but I miss my friends and I FEEL it, so why not say it?

I imagine the hosts and some vendors have developed a close friendship over the years. Maybe that's why they say it? They probably mean it.  Smiley Happy

"Love you" is not a millennial thing! Jane T. for one, is not a millennial. But it's not a mill........thing.

Super Contributor

Lol true! I haven't heard any of the males say it. But yes Davod would say it about his favorite mac and cheese!