Esteemed Contributor

Re: Venting About Reduced Lunch in School Program

How sad to worry about how little the poor get rather than count the blessings you have, @Mominohio.
Honored Contributor

We can argue statistics to death about who abuses the system and who should pay more taxes etc. etc. etc.

This is not about fraud and free school lunches; there is more underneath that is not being addressed.

Why do we have so many hungry children (and adults) in this country? 

Why do we have so many famiilies in distress that we lack enough social workers to assist in this area?

Why do we assume that all folks with money are hoarding their hard earned money and not doing their share of helping out?  Loopholes aside.

We need to look back and see how it came to be that more children need these services and that there are more families facing being torn apart due to abuse - physical, emotional, drugs, alcohol - name your poison.

Unless we get a grip on why families and children especially are in dire straits we will never be able to minimize the need for these services.

What a terrible reflection on priorities.  Worry about a free lunch instead of why that lunch is needed in the first place.  SMDH

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
How sad to worry about how little the poor get rather than count the blessings you have, @Mominohio.

This topic wasn't about how little the 'poor' get. IT is about those that abuse the system, and take what they don't need or qualify for.

How sad for you to not find it outrageous that those people are  hurting those truly in need of assistance, but find it more important to chastise those who do.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

The 'assumptions' argument is flawed. Many of us know from our jobs, our families and friends, our own experiences, more than one person who does exactly what the OP has claimed. Even the OP is going to be right about a good number of the people she is refering to in the original post, if not all, even with just the information she has, and what the people are saying to others in public.

If that statement is true what exactly have you done to stop the fraud?  Did you report those you "know" are doing it?  Did you confront those you "know" are doing it and give them an ultimatum of self-reporting or being reported?  Or, do you just "know" but do nothing to put a stop to it?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

This topic wasn't about how little the 'poor' get. IT is about those that abuse the system, and take what they don't need or qualify for.

How sad for you to not find it outrageous that those people are  hurting those truly in need of assistance, but find it more important to chastise those who do.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Nice try. Your past history proves otherwise. ; )

Valued Contributor

For me personally, this is and has never been about what little the poor get.

Rather, this is about making sure those that don't truly need help don't get it so valuable, finite resources  are preserved for the truly needy amongst us!

And since I grew up very poor but my mother refused to file for help but rather save those very resources for those even less fortunate than us (can't even imagine that!), I totally understand that thinking!

This pot of "free" money is only so deep! If those taking out of it don't need it, when it empties, what will the truly poor do then??? 😢

We're already spending recklessly as a nation!  When does it stop if we don't stop abuse?  How will we help the neediest amongst us then?

Esteemed Contributor

Frankly, the super rich with off shore accounts or the Wall St types who rip us off for much more than the NEEDY ever will bothers me much more, as well as those who ignore the fact.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

We can argue statistics to death about who abuses the system and who should pay more taxes etc. etc. etc.

This is not about fraud and free school lunches; there is more underneath that is not being addressed.

Why do we have so many hungry children (and adults) in this country? 

Why do we have so many famiilies in distress that we lack enough social workers to assist in this area?

Why do we assume that all folks with money are hoarding their hard earned money and not doing their share of helping out?  Loopholes aside.

We need to look back and see how it came to be that more children need these services and that there are more families facing being torn apart due to abuse - physical, emotional, drugs, alcohol - name your poison.

Unless we get a grip on why families and children especially are in dire straits we will never be able to minimize the need for these services.

What a terrible reflection on priorities.  Worry about a free lunch instead of why that lunch is needed in the first place.  SMDH

@Cakers3

You ask many good "why" questions, and there are some partial at least, answers.

More people are in poverty in this country than before. 

The jobs are gone. The good ones. The higher paying, with benefits, don't need a lot of post secondary education, last 30 year jobs. A combination of corporate greed, government taxation and regulation, and automation. Until we solve the jobs problem (and it isn't by raising minimum wage to $15 an hour) we will see the poverty.

The breakdown of the family. I'm sure I'll be taking a hit with this one, but it is true. Two parent families with strong values, mom's having help raising and developing the children's values, supporting the importance of education, and demonstrating responsibility and love. The influence of multiple generations in a child's life.

The politically correct attitude that everyone is entitled to...(health care, housing, food, education, etc., and the list is getting longer everyday) regardless of whether they are willing to contribute to the earning of it or not. None of this is free. The money for it has to come from somewhere. When fewer and fewer people are paying into they system that supports it, it simply isn't sustainable. But more and more people are qualifying, and many who don't, still find a way in. Back in the day, people had pride. They didn't want to take help, if they did, they only took what they needed for as long as they needed it, they were motivated (some, even if only by shame) to return to being a contributor not a recipient.

Lack of personal responsibility. Fewer people really take responsibility for their actions in life. And they do it because the can.

The system itself begins to feed on itself. It continues to grow, and begins to promote it's goods, as a means of growth and survival. The radio here is full of ads encouraging people to come on down and get some benefits. In one, there are two ladies that are supposed to be of retirement age, and one is pretty much telling the other, who never really asked, to go and sign up for the free food and phone that the government is giving away. People no longer have to go and look for 'help, the agencies are recruiting people, like they have some kind of a quota to fill.

And some of the other things you mentioned. Drugs, such a big thing, and alcohol, that lead to so many not able to take care of themselves, or their families. 

Contributor

Interesting thread.

Posting from my kindle fire so will keep this brief.

I find it amazing that one poster knows so many different people milking the system in so many different ways.  If I worked with someone who managed to also raise eight/nine children while holding down a full time job? I just can't imagine.  It certainly wouldn't bother me if they also managed to get some type of assistance.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

The 'assumptions' argument is flawed. Many of us know from our jobs, our families and friends, our own experiences, more than one person who does exactly what the OP has claimed. Even the OP is going to be right about a good number of the people she is refering to in the original post, if not all, even with just the information she has, and what the people are saying to others in public.

If that statement is true what exactly have you done to stop the fraud?  Did you report those you "know" are doing it?  Did you confront those you "know" are doing it and give them an ultimatum of self-reporting or being reported?  Or, do you just "know" but do nothing to put a stop to it?

I don't know why I'm even bothering to answer this, as I will be accused of lying, or of assuming or whatever, but yes.

I have reported, I have spoken up to those I know and told them I don't approve or respect what they are doing.

Often 'the system' just doesn't care. I used to work with a girl who got free formula for her baby. When she stopped using it, she had several cases of cans of ready to feed formula. She, grateful for the help she received, took it back to the office so someone else who was in need could get it, and they told her they couldn't take it back. They told her to give it away to someone. These were in cans like vegetables. They were dated, and couldn't be tampered with. Most of her cases were unopened.

I had to wonder, just how many cases of formula, in just one year, were thrown out or given away, because the agency didn't have a way to bring it back in the system. Such a waste of money.

But let's not worry about the little things, they won't add up to big dollars over time.