Trusted Contributor

Vent - the checkout clerk is not your psychologist or social worker

[ Edited ]

At the grocery store this morning, I was in a short line at checkout, but the lady who was supposed to be paying for her groceries was telling her life story to the checkout clerk, a young man.  She was going on and on, quite loudly so we all could hear about her problems with her daughter and granddaughter, including comments about how her granddaughter just needed to be slapped around.   First I believe it is inappropriate to "air your laundry in public",  as my grandmother used to say.  Secondly, have some consideration for those who are waiting in line behind you as we all have things to do and places to be.  Finally, complete strangers like checkout clerks (and it was obvious he was a complete stranger by his reaction and comments)  just want to do their job and they are not equipped to deal with your problems.  Thanks for letting me vent. If that is the worst thing that happens to me today, then the day will be good.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vent - the checkout clerk is not your psychologist or social worker

I hear ya!  It's even worse when the checker and the customer DO know each other!

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I've seen the opposite happen, too.  I've had many a checkout person vent to me and even make rude comments about the food I'm purchasing.  I feel bad for people who engage strangers in their personal issues.  I imagine they're lonely or just plain crazy.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart to buy some cleaning supplies and went to a full service line.  One person ahead of me that had half a belt if stuff left to be rung.  The cashier and customer were chatting away complaining about someone.  More talking than ringing.  I ended up going to self serve.  They were still there when I left.  OP I can totally relate, it was quite annoying.  I can understand a little chit chat, but a full blown conversation about personal topics is something else.

Honored Contributor

You'll probably end up, at some point, getting spanked here for 'venting' so be ready for that.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, I understand your vent.  Things like that can be so irksome, especially as you stand there watching your frozen goods thaw out on the belt.   But, like you, I understand that it's not the worse thing in life.   It is worthy of venting, though.   Smiley Happy  

Hopefully, that doesn't happen next time.    I guess that's the silver lining.  Stuff like that will always happen but not all the time.

Honored Contributor

I always let my bartender handle the tough things in my life. Well! Then I quit drinking, so much for that.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This OP would be VERY FRUSTRATED if she lived where I do. Most of the people in my town are elderly and I am pretty sure the only human  contact in their lives are the waitresses and clerks who wait on them. They seem starved for someone to have a conversation with. Don't go to the store here or out to eat unless you have plenty of time - not to mention all the people who live in our plan and sit outside on the sidewalk all day just waiting for someone , anyone to talk to them. Just getting from the house to the car is like running a gauntlet. You have to leave yourself time to stop and have all these conversations along the way. You don't want to be rude but GEEZ PEOPLE - I have somewhere to be.

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This OP would be VERY FRUSTRATED if she lived where I do. Most of the people in my town are elderly and I am pretty sure the only human  contact in their lives are the waitresses and clerks who wait on them. They seem starved for someone to have a conversation with. Don't go to the store here or out to eat unless you have plenty of time - not to mention all the people who live in our plan and sit outside on the sidewalk all day just waiting for someone , anyone to talk to them. Just getting from the house to the car is like running a gauntlet. You have to leave yourself time to stop and have all these conversations along the way. You don't want to be rude but GEEZ PEOPLE - I have somewhere to be.

Comical but sad.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the experiences I have had with this it is often the checker who initiates the chatting or doesn't know when to shut up or can't tell the difference between 1-2 people in line in the middle of a weekday (more appropriate time) and 5-6 people in line at 5-6 pm ( busiest time with most tired, stressed customers, NOT appropriate).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Most of the time I don't get VERY FRUSTRATED as you said even though I actually do live in a retirement community outside of a small town that has at least one other larger retirement community.   There are lots of old people here, including me, but luckily most I come in contact with aren't that starved for someone to talk with because they are immersed in volunteer activites.