Honored Contributor

Re: Vendors who Jumped from the southern channel,to QVC

@corita wrote:

I wonder what makes one vendor jump from one to another channel - more money, better programming, dispute with management? Didn't Joy start out at QVC???  Wonder if we will be seeing George S. over the Florida channel???

Most of the time, it's probably that the products didn't sell enough, based on some algorithm for those products, to keep giving the vendor prime airtime, and QVC declined to renew. In a few cases QVC might offer less presentations during overnight hours and the vendor, who has to fly to PA and stay awake for those hours, says no thanks. I suspect the other channels have lower sales number expectations, and some of their programming is recorded. I think most vendors are savvy enough to enjoy the rush of sales while it lasts and not be surprised when their 15 minutes, or 30 as the case may be, is over.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think, that in general. Q has been the hardest to get into and maintain a relationship with. They really did used to be about the Quality, and the other networks, not so much, so that is why you don't see many coming in from the others to Q.

I think, too, that many products/lines run their course at Q, and don't sell well anymore, so they are released, and find a home with a whole new crowd at another network. Q is about making the most money per minute of air time that they can, and when a product has over saturated the market, or doesn't take of and remain solid with the customers, it is gone.

Honored Contributor

I agree with others that a given product line probably gets over-exposed to a given venue, at some point.   So, they need to find a new audience.

Granted both audiences overlap to some degree, but you'll still find millions of new customers from one to the other.  Some don't get one channel but get the other.  Some don't like one channel but like the other.  The list goes on.

Plus, hey, maybe a given vendor is attractive and another venue courts them with a bigger prize.

There can just be so many reasons.   I don't watch hsn, virtually, at all (I did look in the other day to see something mentioned in a thread here) and I watch very little QVC now.   So I don't know who has moved lately.  But I did see a lot in previous years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think, that in general. Q has been the hardest to get into and maintain a relationship with. They really did used to be about the Quality, and the other networks, not so much, so that is why you don't see many coming in from the others to Q.

I think, too, that many products/lines run their course at Q, and don't sell well anymore, so they are released, and find a home with a whole new crowd at another network. Q is about making the most money per minute of air time that they can, and when a product has over saturated the market, or doesn't take of and remain solid with the customers, it is gone.

-------------------------------------

I agree with you.  And yet, there seem to be so many vendors who have run out their time and novelty of products  and yet there they are....over and over...talk about saturation!  And that is one reason I don't watch anymore.  I realize I am in the minority...

Honored Contributor

Some vendors have also made the move to Evine.

People like Joy Mangano, Perlier started on the Q, been on HSN for many years.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Since LIBERTY INTERACTIVE CORPORATION owns 100% of QVC and Zulily as well as 38% of HSN they win no matter where vendors are placed at QVC or HSN.

Interesting.  I think I heard this , but I thought they were competitors.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Brenda Dygraff started at HSN, moved to QVC for a time, now is back on HSN.  You're right, tho, KathyPet - Usually, it's the Q vendors who jump to HSN.  The only other I can think of is Shell Kepler - She started on HSN, then ended up on QVC.  That was many years ago.