Honored Contributor

Re: Vegan Australian woman sues neighbor over meat smells from barbecuing...

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I think I read she was wearing a leather skirt ,while she was interviewed

@cherry   I've posted about animal by-products before and was ripped for it.

Vegan isn't just about food; it's about no animal products AT ALL.  No leather, no personal products containing any animal by-products.

I'm not talking about "No animal testing".

Where do peopel think leather and other by products in shampoos, lotions, etc. come from?

The same animals people boo-hoo over and look down on others who do not follow a vegan way of eating.

Either you are a full-fledged vegan or not.

That includes by-products derived from fish, too.

It's like the "save the forests" people who go so far as to burn down logging businesses but publish their propaganda on PAPER and live in WOOD houses furnished with WOOD items.

@Cakers3 

I understand what you are saying....

My sister has a friend that's a vegan....and I told my sister that I understand her friend is doing this out of her love for animals...When she joins us for lunch she even eats a DRY salad or steamed veggies.....BUT the hypocritical thing is she feeds her cat wet cat food where you can clearly even see chunks of beef, chicken, turkey, salmon, and fish....And what about her leather handbags .....GO FIGURE.......As much as I love animals, vegan just wouldn't work since I have pets that are carnivores ....

@Spurt   For me it isn't so much that a vegan wears leather-it's the constant nagging at others that they are destroying the environment, that they support cruelty to animals, and that they caused their own illness.

If one cares about animals, then you don't support other industries that make use of animal skins and by-products.

I realize that it isn't all or nothing; but at least admit, if one is vegan, that there is still room for improvement in one's own life instead of pushing an agenda on others.

Let people make their own decisions.

I don't follow posters around picking at them for their choices regarding the environment.  I may cringe at some things but I am responsible for me and only me (and family).

All this doom and gloom about health and yet they conveniently ignore the chemical pollution of our food sources-and I'm not talking about run-off from animal business in our water.

Spray those herbicides/pesticides and eat vegan.  Ok.  Where do they think those chemicals end up?? In our bodies, waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy cells.

That is my issue.  Not judging; just trying to bring full circle all the issues regarding animals, the environment, etc.  Vegans who push the way of eating often ignore the other issues that hurt the environment and the health of people.

Judging people works both ways.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Vegan isn't just about food; it's about no animal products AT ALL.  No leather, no personal products containing any animal by-products.

Where do peopel think leather and other by products in shampoos, lotions, etc. come from?

The same animals people boo-hoo over and look down on others who do not follow a vegan way of eating.

It's like the "save the forests" people who go so far as to burn down logging businesses but publish their propaganda on PAPER and live in WOOD houses furnished with WOOD items.

@Cakers3 

My sister has a friend that's a vegan....and I told my sister that I understand her friend is doing this out of her love for animals...When she joins us for lunch she even eats a DRY salad or steamed veggies.....BUT the hypocritical thing is she feeds her cat wet cat food where you can clearly even see chunks of beef, chicken, turkey, salmon, and fish....And what about her leather handbags .....GO FIGURE.......As much as I love animals, vegan just wouldn't work since I have pets that are carnivores ....

@Spurt   For me it isn't so much that a vegan wears leather-it's the constant nagging at others that they are destroying the environment, that they support cruelty to animals, and that they caused their own illness.

If one cares about animals, then you don't support other industries that make use of animal skins and by-products.

I realize that it isn't all or nothing; but at least admit, if one is vegan, that there is still room for improvement in one's own life instead of pushing an agenda on others.

I don't follow posters around picking at them for their choices regarding the environment.  I may cringe at some things but I am responsible for me and only me (and family).

All this doom and gloom about health and yet they conveniently ignore the chemical pollution of our food sources-and I'm not talking about run-off from animal business in our water.

Spray those herbicides/pesticides and eat vegan.  Ok.  Where do they think those chemicals end up?? In our bodies, waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy cells.

That is my issue.  Not judging; just trying to bring full circle all the issues regarding animals, the environment, etc.  Vegans who push the way of eating often ignore the other issues that hurt the environment and the health of people.

@Cakers3 

Very well said!!!  At least my sister's vegan friend isn't judgemental......

And with all these chemicals they spray on veggies and fruit....my friends joke that pretty soon the only healthy thing will be fried foods that kill the chemical reaction....LOL

Its funny you bring up the environment because our city is planning a City Climate Conference --- whats amusing is the Zoning Commissioner approves the construction of buildings, retail stores and tons of apartment complexes in areas of the city that are already heavily congested with traffic.....so the city itself adds to Ozone Action days and pollution....but they want the citizens to sacrifice, pay more in taxes, impose restrictions etc etc ...they need to look at themselves in the mirror FIRST! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

And with all these chemicals they spray on veggies and fruit....my friends joke that pretty soon the only healthy thing will be fried foods that kill the chemical reaction....LOL

Its funny you bring up the environment because our city is planning a City Climate Conference --- whats amusing is the Zoning Commissioner approves the construction of buildings, retail stores and tons of apartment complexes in areas of the city that are already heavily congested with traffic.....so the city itself adds to Ozone Action days and pollution....but they want the citizens to sacrifice, pay more in taxes, impose restrictions etc etc ...they need to look at themselves in the mirror FIRST! 

@Spurt, there is simply no easy answer as to how balance the need for more building and the need to mitigate environmental adverse effects.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

@Spurt, there is simply no easy answer as to how balance the need for more building and the need to mitigate environmental adverse effects.

@suzyQ3 

That's not the case in our city, plenty of land and open spaces and areas that need businesses and apartments and such rather than already congested areas....I even talked to my Councilman about that and he agreed with me, and with internal costs and added cost of infra structures, sewers, lighting etc...the city doesnt really make any extra money by approving them either.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

@suzyQ3 

That's not the case in our city, plenty of land and open spaces to build rathe3r than already congested areas....I even talked to my Councilman about that and he agreed with me, and with internal costs and added cost of infra structures, sewers, lighting etc...the city doesnt really make any extra money by approving them either.....

@Spurt, I'd have to hear the other side, but sure, there may be some unwise decisions anywhere. I'm more used to the problem of density, definitely not a surfeit of land. Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

@suzyQ3 

That's not the case in our city, plenty of land and open spaces to build rathe3r than already congested areas....I even talked to my Councilman about that and he agreed with me, and with internal costs and added cost of infra structures, sewers, lighting etc...the city doesnt really make any extra money by approving them either.....

@Spurt, I'd have to hear the other side, but sure, there may be some unwise decisions anywhere. I'm more used to the problem of density, definitely not a surfeit of land. Smiley Happy

@suzyQ3 

My Council Person didnt have an answer to that question.....he said I made a good point....Personally, deep down, I think its a case of "favor for a favor" and "if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of a thing if you get my drift.  And who ends up paying for it in the end....the public...in the form of more Ozone action days and tax penalties imposed on the city by the feds....

Some areas do have population density issues. Well here in Texas we have wide open spaces...  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

@SpurtI've been watching that conference issue.

I agree so much about all this construction!

The water issue alone I could just spit.  Wait until the rates triple. 

Traffic-we hardly ever take the highways anymore.  We take back roads and even those are starting to get congested and you can see the toll it is taking on these roads-like a roller coaster on some now.

Plus the issue of sinkholes and it's already been determined that some underground systems can no longer handle the explosion of population and water usage. (Think of that poor deputy who died in that sinkhole).

Ugh. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I can't figure out who mentioned about a vegan feeding her cat wet food.

Cats are carnivores and HAVE to eat meat.  I am not aware of any safe option that would be vegan for cats.

Dogs are omnivores and there MAY be a way to do it, but I do not really know.

We cannot put human values on animals. 

Speaking of smells, I believe I have heard of people in New York multi-unit housing to be upset when others smoke in their apartments, townhomes, condos, etc.  That's a tough one, because these others can be owners too.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I can't figure out who mentioned about a vegan feeding her cat wet food.

Cats are carnivores and HAVE to eat meat.  I am not aware of any safe option that would be vegan for cats.

Dogs are omnivores and there MAY be a way to do it, but I do not really know.

We cannot put human values on animals. 

Speaking of smells, I believe I have heard of people in New York multi-unit housing to be upset when others smoke in their apartments, townhomes, condos, etc.  That's a tough one, because these others can be owners too.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 

yes CATS need meat and would not be healthy on a vegetarian diet....

My point was how can you call yourself a true VEGAN when you have to feed your carnivore cat meat products...the two just dont seem to be compatible....

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Cakers3 

@Cakers3 

@SpurtI've been watching that conference issue.

I agree so much about all this construction!

The water issue alone I could just spit.  Wait until the rates triple. 

Traffic-we hardly ever take the highways anymore.  We take back roads and even those are starting to get congested and you can see the toll it is taking on these roads-like a roller coaster on some now.

Plus the issue of sinkholes and it's already been determined that some underground systems can no longer handle the explosion of population and water usage. (Think of that poor deputy who died in that sinkhole).

Ugh. 

@Cakers3 

All valid points!!!  And I think the "decision makers" are our own worst enemies because they seem to be making HUGE mistakes not only for the environment , but our wallets as well.....Woman Frustrated