Honored Contributor

Vangelis, Composer of Academy Award-Winning Score of 'Chariots of Fire,' Has Died

[ Edited ]

He died in a French hospital at the age of 79.

The score for Chariots of Fire was haunting -- among my favorites.

May his memory be eternal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-HfNE3EIo

From WTOP online: 

"Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and other government officials expressed their condolences Thursday. Greek media reported that Vangelis — born Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou — died in a French hospital late Tuesday.

“ 'Vangelis Papathanassiou is no longer among us,' Mitsotakis tweeted, calling him an 'electronic sound trailblazer' whose death is 'sad news for the entire world.' ”

Honored Contributor

Re: Vangelis, Composer of Academy Award-Winning Score of 'Chariots of Fire,' Has Died

Chariots of Fire is universally well-loved, he'll be missed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Vangelis, Composer of Academy Award-Winning Score of 'Chariots of Fire,' Has Died

What a ringing, noble-sounding birth name he had, @golding76 !   Love the "Chariots of Fire" score.  RIP.

Respected Contributor

Oh no!  I still listen to his music and have always been a big fan beyond his Chariots of Fire.  Sad to know he  is gone but he left us much joy and entertainment.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's too bad and sad although I did think he was older.

Everyone loves Chariots of Fire and I do too.  It is certainly his most famous piece. And of course there is also Blade Runner which is fabulous too.

But my very favorite that I absolutely adore is "Hymne"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXUxVzJhuM

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Respected Contributor

Farewell Vangelis.  Your creations touched a chord in the world.

I remember first hearing his music on the original COSMOS series.  A theme for the Universe.

Honored Contributor

He will always be among us with his music....rest in peace,

Honored Contributor

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

My favorite piece of music from Vangelis is the incredibly haunting and beautiful Theme from "Missing".  I had my first exposure to the work of this man courtesy of Ernest and Julio Gallo, whose California winery used his "Hymn" in a commercial .  The music played over scenes from the beautiful vineyards.  That commercial became something of a social phenomenon. I believe it was in the late 60s or very early 70s.

Valued Contributor

Holy Smoke!  I just looked the commercial up and even though I may be older than dirt that commercial isn't!  It was from the early 80s!