Frequent Contributor

Re: Vandal(s) painted graffiti all over the Viet Nam memorial

There should be a steeper penalty for defacing Monuments and Religious Symbols.  Perhaps a Hate crime in a lower degree if anyone is caught for the crime. JMO.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry, thank you for the star Heart.

Esteemed Contributor

Deplorable.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I have a book on the history of Graffiti. It's quite amazing that they have traced it clear back even to Pompei. Apparently, it has always been a form of protest one way or the other. I remember going into a cathedral in Salisbury, England and see stuff etched into the marble effigies on tops of sarcophagi. I was so disgusted, and I asked one of the docents how this was allowed to happen with all the guards and things in these cathedrals, and she told me it didn't happen in modern times. It happened in ancient times when prisoners of war were held in cathedrals because they didn't have other places for them. The prisoners themselves did the etched graffiti. I also saw stuff etched in a military installation in Carlisle, England. The graffiti there was done in tiles by soldiers who had to guard the place hour after hour. I guess they were bored. Anyway, this is not a modern day phenomenon.

So so now we have a history lesson. This is vandalism not a mere form of graffiti. SMH

First of all, graffiti IS vandalism. It was vandalism then and it is vandalism now.  And, I am so sorry if I thought I would add another dimension to the story about graffiti on the VN Memorial. How dare I do such a thing. I was under the faulty assumption that people might want to know how far back this kind of action dates in the history of human beings. My mistake. I happened to read the book and thought I would share some of what I learned. Next time, I will certainly consult you before I dare to make a comment lest I get another reprimand.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@RainCityWoman True, but no less disgusting!

I never said it wasn't disgusting. I was just sharing something I read. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I have a book on the history of Graffiti. It's quite amazing that they have traced it clear back even to Pompei. Apparently, it has always been a form of protest one way or the other. I remember going into a cathedral in Salisbury, England and see stuff etched into the marble effigies on tops of sarcophagi. I was so disgusted, and I asked one of the docents how this was allowed to happen with all the guards and things in these cathedrals, and she told me it didn't happen in modern times. It happened in ancient times when prisoners of war were held in cathedrals because they didn't have other places for them. The prisoners themselves did the etched graffiti. I also saw stuff etched in a military installation in Carlisle, England. The graffiti there was done in tiles by soldiers who had to guard the place hour after hour. I guess they were bored. Anyway, this is not a modern day phenomenon.

So so now we have a history lesson. This is vandalism not a mere form of graffiti. SMH

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes,  we have a history lesson and thank you for it, @Rainy Day Girl.

That was fascinating.

I don't know how "mere graffiti" is different from graffiti, but it seems the intent is the same. 

So, this isn't new news and it didn't happen at the main memorial in DC.

Why is it inspiring so much outrage now and why is it being discussed now?

Thank you, for your polite response. It was a great, informative book which included actual writings from the graffiti perpetrators. Amazing some of the things they said, even way back then.

Respected Contributor

Has something happened to make this old news new news? I googled but couldn't find any new updates.

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Nancy Drew   Thank you.  I was about to post the same thing.  Nobody said that this was a "modern day penomenon".  And I seriously doubt anybody who has lived through the VN era or any other war era gives a flower about Pompeii.

Just once it would be nice for a thread to stick to the subject-the defacement of a memorial to lives lost in service to this country.

SMH also.  Oh wait - I'm sure we'll also get the usual lecture about people not liking "facts" or some such nonsense.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

“We were initially hopeful that the graffiti could be removed without damaging the memorial, but Metro's contractor says the damage is too extensive,” Metro CEO Phil Washington said in a statement. “Metro will work with the community to gather historical photos so the wall can be restored. In the meantime, Metro will cover the wall as a gesture of respect to the fallen whose names were covered by the graffiti."

http://ktla.com/2016/05/30/extensive-graffiti-vandalism-to-veterans-memorial-in-venice-will-take-tim...

more information via snopes....

http://www.snopes.com/vietnam-wall-graffiti/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

@151949 Thanks for the Heart.