Honored Contributor

My dh is 80 and got his 1st vaccine yesterday thru our local health department...I was also offered my first shot but declined (I am 65)...I don't have a fear of the virus and am very healthy....and there are many others that need to take the shot before I take my turn.   

Respected Contributor

Locally, someone under 65/not frontline made a reservation for a shot, but they would not give it to him when he got there because he did not quality.   Good for "them."

I wish I could give my over 65 injection to a younger family member who has a medical condition. I would gladly give it up. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Respected Contributor

It's a little extreme to make these people out to be the worst humans imaginable. I can think of many many things that are so much worse. There's a lot of demonizing of people for everything these days and it's not helping anyone. Many people are terrified to get the virus and scared people do things they would not normally do. 

Honored Contributor

I know a few people with concierge medicine that have received the vaccine. Easily. Their physicians have it.

Meanwhile, I have tried as a Type 1 diabetic for 50 years, 2 heart attacks and a stroke and can't find anywhere to get it  here on Long Island. Strange...

Respected Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

It's a little extreme to make these people out to be the worst humans imaginable. I can think of many many things that are so much worse. There's a lot of demonizing of people for everything these days and it's not helping anyone. Many people are terrified to get the virus and scared people do things they would not normally do. 

The problem is that the supply of vaccine is quite finite, and people who are lying to get it are depriving people who need it more than they do and are potentially consigning the deprived to more severe illness, even death. So it's understandable that when people with low risk bump the more needy, they're going to be demonized. They deserve it, under the circumstances. It's not like snitching the last pack of toilet paper on the shelves. There is no substitute for the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I believe that would be morally wrong to accept a vaccine before others.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

The problem is that the supply of vaccine is quite finite, and people who are lying to get it are depriving people who need it more than they do and are potentially consigning the deprived to more severe illness, even death. So it's understandable that when people with low risk bump the more needy, they're going to be demonized. They deserve it, under the circumstances. It's not like snitching the last pack of toilet paper on the shelves. There is no substitute for the vaccine.

I know what the problem is. I'm very aware. I see the complaints and hear them all over the news.Fear does funny things to people. We need more understanding in this world not more hate and anger. I do not approve of line jumpers by any means but I choose to reserve my anger for worse crimes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well I am shocked, just shocked!  Who would have guessed this would happen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

It's "stealing." And it puts others at risk of disease and possibly death.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

My daughter told me this week about her friends dad. He is around 60, is good health and is retired. In my state they are vaccinating the 70 and up people and the ones in health care.

Well, her friends dad has a friend who is a pharmacist. This pharmacist have his the vaccination this past Monday. Meanwhile, my elderly parents, many elderly people are waiting. My folks just got an appointment today and I am grateful. The their first shots will be in two weeks. 

I told a lady who works at walgreens this tale, and she told me to call the arkansas pharmacists association. I tried today, didn't get thru. I will try again on Monday. I don't know if there is anything that can be done, but my faith in a lot of folks is really going down. 

I can't help but wonder if there isn't a lot of that going on and thats why those of us who don't have connections aren't having any luck for our elderly loved ones. How can there be millions of doses missing? Did they just evaporate into thin air? 

@happycat   Wouldn't the pharmacist count as a healthcare worker.  They do, after all, encounter as many or more patients than the doctors and in some case, nurses.  I stand in a long line at my pharmacy and I know my pharmacist has been exposed . I don't begrudge either pharmacist a vaccination.  They are giving shots at my pharmacy and they have to be right in my face to do that.  Stay calm and carry on.