Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sunshine45 

Those who have someone immunocompromised living with them are not included in group A.  This 30 something couple are line jumpers. They have taken two shots belonging to others.

Why didn't they have their son receive the vaccine instead?

Because if they are 30 somethings it would be safe to assume that their son isn't old enough for the vaccine.  One has not been approved for under 16, the other for under 18.....

Honored Contributor

I posted in another thread that I personally know someone who rec'd the vaccine because he too is friends with a pharmacist.  There were shots left over at the end of the day and those shots have to be given within X amount of hours or thrown away.  Rather than throw the vaccine away he called people he knew to see if they wanted the vaccine.  I have no idea how these people get the second shot though.  

Respected Contributor

There will always be people who circumvent the system and that is sad.  The only thing is, you never know why a younger person is in line.  A friend of mine has 36 year old daugher in law enforcement, therefore she was able to get her shot.  My 31 year old DD is a teacher and the county she lives in has given priority to all teachers and she got her shot.  I have friends, who are under 65, and were able to get appointments to get their shots.  When I made my apoointment to get my shot, the first thing it asked me was if I was 65 before I could proceed.  Does that mean that my friends lied?  I try not to think about it, I'm not the vaccine police.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

A few minutes ago there was a local news story about a young guy who is being harrassed on FB because posted that he and his wife and his father were lucky enough to get the Covid vaccine.  People really need to calm down and stop making accusations when they don't know the whole story.  In this guy's case, they got the vaccine because one of the hospitals that was vaccinating employees was done for the day and had doses left over.  The vaccine cannot be returned to the freezer, they either use or toss it in the trash so the nurses who were giving the injections started calling friends who could get there in an hour.  They didn't want to just waste those unused doses.  My guess is that situation is common for those centers that are giving hundreds of injections a day.  There are going to be leftover doses at the end of the day.  Apparently, some people line up outside of them late in the day, hoping that they'll be lucky enough to score one of those unused injections.  

That "leftover vaccine" story may be just that, a story. It appears to be the same one told by the whippersnapper that the braintrusts who make decisions in Philadelphia consigned to do vaccinations and testing. A volunteer's eyewitness account of what this creep did doesn't tally with his tale. He wound up vaccinating his pals with the vaccine he took.

I think when any entities that are entrusted with doing  vaccinations mismanage the program and have doses left over om a regular basis, their role needs to be re-evaluated. Better to turn people away than have this suspect business of insiders contacting friends with, "Psst, ya wanna vaccination?" It just looks bad. Or throw out the playbook that's ignored anyway and let all the insiders and their pals get it first, never mind priorities and groupings, and when there's more of it, the poor schmucks without connections can get their turn.

@noodleann , it's not just a story in all cases.  It is true.  These shots have to be used up in a certain number of hours and they cannot be put back so if they aren't used up, they have to be tossed. What is the sense in throwing out the vaccines?  There were stories early on of vaccines being mishandled and having to be tossed and people were outraged, and rightfully so.

I also saw the story about the young guy running the vaccine clinic in PA and how upset people were about him taking vaccines home.  He claims he took 4 vaccines that were left over and otherwise would have been tossed.  The news made him out to be the most selfish human walking the Earth.  Who knows who is telling the truth there.

The very next story this news program reported was about people stuck on the highway in a bad snowstorm.  Just so happens there were people stuck in the same snowstorm who had the vaccines (I don't really know why) and got out of their cars and vaccinated people right on the highway because the vaccines would have had to be tossed.

That was okay and those people were made out to be saints but it's not okay for other places to use up shots so they don't get tossed.   Doesn't make sense.      

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I'd rather see a vaccine used than get thrown away.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

Good point. However, this child's three brothers can't  be vaccinated either so vaccinating the parents won't  protect him.

No matter, the parents did not qualify, were not in Group A and cheated.

Respected Contributor

Read a report on a  news site (not social media) that there are 20 million doses missing, or at least unaccounted for. I doubt that the illicit doses are being properly recorded, so that may be part of the total. Might be states/localities quietly decided to hold second-shot reserves, might be spoilage, might be a bunch of magpies swooped down and snaffled the vials and are trying to sell them for twigs and yarn.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vaccine Line Jumpers

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My dh is 80 and got his 1st vaccine yesterday thru our local health department...I was also offered my first shot but declined (I am 65)...I don't have a fear of the virus and am very healthy....and there are many others that need to take the shot before I take my turn.   

It is great if you are willing to wait, but be very careful.  I attended the funeral grave site Saturday of my dear friend's husband who died at 58 of covid.  Healthy, got symptoms and two weeks later dead.  Only 10 allowed and I stayed 10 min outside.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sunshine45 

Those who have someone immunocompromised living with them are not included in group A.  This 30 something couple are line jumpers. They have taken two shots belonging to others.

Why didn't they have their son receive the vaccine instead?

I have a child who is a client of Alta Regional Center.  She is a disabled adult.  As such she and her caregivers quallify to get the vaccine now.  We sign up through them and then they have dates to get them at Safeway.  When the slots are filled, it is done until they open another one.  Those slots filled up quickly.  We didn't chose to do it at this point but this may be the case for these people and they are not line jumpers.  Those are their shots.