Respected Contributor

Re: Vaccination Letter from Pediatrician's Office

On 6/4/2014 Clover29 said:
On 6/4/2014 scotttie said:
On 6/4/2014 Clover29 said:

It's policy in the USA to vaccinate kids against chickenpox, which is usually a very mild illness in children (not so in adults). European policy is to not vaccinate, and let kids get chickenpox because it's not a big deal for them. Adults (who have themselves already had chickenpox) who have contact with kids with chickenpox are less likely to get shingles, it's a shingles immunity booster just like the shingles shot. You do not get shingles from contact with someone who has chickenpox.

Chickenpox can be a deadly disease or leave a person with lifelong complications. People used to think measles and mumps were mild too.

You can get chicken pox from being exposed to someone with shingles. Don't know about the reverse.

Chickenpox is mild in young children. I did say "not so for adults". And no, you still don't get shingles from being exposed to someone with either shingles or chickenpox.

Actually chickenpox can be deadly in children as well. It can leave devastating brain damage as well as other lifelong issues. I don't have time to post links for you but just let me say I know personally a boy who was left with severe brain damage from Chicken pox as a child.

Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 LipstickDiva said:

When I was young, there was no vaccine for chicken pox. I remember being in a lower grade of grade school and one of the kids in our neighborhood got them and they went through the entire neighborhood. My sister got a horrible case of them but mine weren't too bad.

I do remember having to be quarantined for 2 weeks and I remember the nurse from the health department coming out. This happened during the summer so we didn't miss any school.

I also remember being in high school and the school being shut down because so many kids got the chicken pox.

How long ago did the vaccine come out for them? I know I could google it.

I think in the mid 90's.

My daughter was in preschool and had tumbling day on the mats. That week, the whole place had them. After that, when she would get her shots, they'd ask if she had them or she had to have the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

On 6/4/2014 occasional rain said:

This is a slippery slope. Now it's vaccinations, what will it be next?

So these children refused health care will end up in emergency rooms when they get sick. If it turns out the child has a life threatening disease that should have been discovered and treated sooner by his pediatrician, the refusing pediatrician will be sued for malpractice.

I'm sure there are other pediatricians and/or family practice doctors in the area.

Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 stilltamn8r said: Honestly, what percentage of the population has legitimate. Religious reasons for not being vaccinated???? .0001 percent..????????

Yes, it used to be there were only a handful of kids who were not vaccinated. Now there are tons of people not vaccinating due to paranoia and listening to celebs like Jenny McCarthy, and we are seeing the effects of that. To prevent these outbreaks, there needs to be herd immunity.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

My brother got brain encephalitis after having chicken pox. He almost died.
Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 happy housewife said:
On 6/4/2014 occasional rain said:

This is a slippery slope. Now it's vaccinations, what will it be next?

So these children refused health care will end up in emergency rooms when they get sick. If it turns out the child has a life threatening disease that should have been discovered and treated sooner by his pediatrician, the refusing pediatrician will be sued for malpractice.

I'm sure there are other pediatricians and/or family practice doctors in the area.

There are tons of other pediatricians in our area.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

I remember a number of the home schooled kids didn't go to docs. they had the school nurse do the basic exams....eyes, ears etc.

It was very weird.

Honored Contributor

When I was a child a neighborhood child died from complications from measles. She was a normal everyday healthy child.
Respected Contributor

Just to clarify, the practice we use is comprised of numerous pediatricians, not just one. I'm sure they are fed up with people refusing vaccines because they read something on the internet or heard from some celeb that they were dangerous. With all the outbreaks, I bet an anti-vaxer came down with measles or chickenpox at their practice, and they decided to put their foot down.

Honored Contributor

On 6/4/2014 JJsMom said:

Just to clarify, the practice we use is comprised of numerous pediatricians, not just one. I'm sure they are fed up with people refusing vaccines because they read something on the internet or heard from some celeb that they were dangerous. With all the outbreaks, I bet an anti-vaxer came down with measles or chickenpox at their practice, and they decided to put their foot down.

ITA

and probably just one more thing to deal with day to day in a busy practice, good for them.