Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccination Letter from Pediatrician's Office

When I was young, there was no vaccine for chicken pox. I remember being in a lower grade of grade school and one of the kids in our neighborhood got them and they went through the entire neighborhood. My sister got a horrible case of them but mine weren't too bad.

I do remember having to be quarantined for 2 weeks and I remember the nurse from the health department coming out. This happened during the summer so we didn't miss any school.

I also remember being in high school and the school being shut down because so many kids got the chicken pox.

How long ago did the vaccine come out for them? I know I could google it.

Respected Contributor

good video from The Daily Show

Respected Contributor

I don't think the letter is about school. It's about being a patient without the vaccines. Those who refuse will no longer be patients.

Super Contributor

On 6/4/2014 scotttie said:
On 6/4/2014 Clover29 said:

It's policy in the USA to vaccinate kids against chickenpox, which is usually a very mild illness in children (not so in adults). European policy is to not vaccinate, and let kids get chickenpox because it's not a big deal for them. Adults (who have themselves already had chickenpox) who have contact with kids with chickenpox are less likely to get shingles, it's a shingles immunity booster just like the shingles shot. You do not get shingles from contact with someone who has chickenpox.

Chickenpox can be a deadly disease or leave a person with lifelong complications. People used to think measles and mumps were mild too.

You can get chicken pox from being exposed to someone with shingles. Don't know about the reverse.

Chickenpox is mild in young children. I did say "not so for adults". And no, you still don't get shingles from being exposed to someone with either shingles or chickenpox.

Honored Contributor

If you have never had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine and are around someone with shingles you can get chickenpox. Then you would be at risk for shingles, because it comes from the chickenpox virus that lies dormant.
Honored Contributor

I wish ALL docs would do this.

Honored Contributor

This is a slippery slope. Now it's vaccinations, what will it be next?

So these children refused health care will end up in emergency rooms when they get sick. If it turns out the child has a life threatening disease that should have been discovered and treated sooner by his pediatrician, the refusing pediatrician will be sued for malpractice.

Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 occasional rain said:

This is a slippery slope. Now it's vaccinations, what will it be next?

So these children refused health care will end up in emergency rooms when they get sick. If it turns out the child has a life threatening disease that should have been discovered and treated sooner by his pediatrician, the refusing pediatrician will be sued for malpractice.

That's nonsense. A doctor has the right to remove you from his/her practice for noncompliance. Not getting vaccinated is considered noncompliance. You have the option of seeing another doctor who doesn't have the same rules.

Honored Contributor

One thing to consider is the generation having kids now is the generation that did not grow up as we did when you could catch measles, mumps, scarlet fever etc, and don't realize how horrible they really are.

Honored Contributor

I don't blame any doctor who feels this way. Those unvaccinated kids are exposing everyone who comes to his office who is pregnant or too young to have been vaccinated to those illnesses. When a pregnant woman is exposed to measles her fetus can suffer severe birth defects. He is doing the best he can to protect all his other patients.