Super Contributor

Re: Vaccination Letter from Pediatrician's Office

On 6/4/2014 scotttie said:
On 6/4/2014 hennypenny said:

A close family friend took her daughter to the doctors for an ear infection. A week later she got a call from the doctors office. She was told there was a child there in the office that was later diagnosed with chicken pox.

Her daughter was quarantined for two weeks. When the ear infection came back and she had to go to emergency she was seen outside the hospital. She couldn't leave the house for two weeks and she and mommy missed the family vacation.

This was on the peninsula in SF area

Wow. That sounds a little extreme. I never heard of such a thing.

So if she had been vaccinated for chicken pox, she would have avoided all this????
Respected Contributor

Besides religious and phiisophical there ARE some kids who cannot tolerate the vaccines and those are exempt as well. (re: the school issue)

Super Contributor

I got chicken pox at age 30...of course that was before the vaccine...my son was 9... I got them from him...he was barely even sick.. I on the other hand, was extremely sick....wish I would have got them as a kid....
Respected Contributor

When I was still teaching there was a form the parent could fill out stating they had religious objections to vaccinations. At the same time, they were informed that if anyone in the school developed any of the diseases-ie chicken pox, measles- their child/ren would have to be kept home until the outbreak was over.

If a child in the school came down with the chicken pox, all children who were not vaccinated were not allowed in school. Period. Vaccinated children can still get chicken pox, usually a much milder case.

There are some children who have not been completely vaccinated due to medical reasons. Any child on chemo or radiation comes under that heading. For one of them to be accidently exposed to a childhood disease could have fatal results.

my edit

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/4/2014 stilltamn8r said: I got chicken pox at age 30...of course that was before the vaccine...my son was 9... I got them from him...he was barely even sick.. I on the other hand, was extremely sick....wish I would have got them as a kid....

I got mine in my early 20's when my daughter was a baby. It was awful, I had them everywhere even my eyes and other non mentionables. It was so painful, wasn't it. My daughter who was a baby got a very mild case and was fine.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

So this doctor is saying he will no longer treat people who have religious reasons for no vaccinations? Just asking, not judging him.
Super Contributor

It's policy in the USA to vaccinate kids against chickenpox, which is usually a very mild illness in children (not so in adults). European policy is to not vaccinate, and let kids get chickenpox because it's not a big deal for them. Adults (who have themselves already had chickenpox) who have contact with kids with chickenpox are less likely to get shingles, it's a shingles immunity booster just like the shingles shot. You do not get shingles from contact with someone who has chickenpox.

Super Contributor

Honestly, what percentage of the population has legitimate. Religious reasons for not being vaccinated???? .0001 percent..????????
Respected Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Clover29 said:

It's policy in the USA to vaccinate kids against chickenpox, which is usually a very mild illness in children (not so in adults). European policy is to not vaccinate, and let kids get chickenpox because it's not a big deal for them. Adults (who have themselves already had chickenpox) who have contact with kids with chickenpox are less likely to get shingles, it's a shingles immunity booster just like the shingles shot. You do not get shingles from contact with someone who has chickenpox.

Chickenpox can be a deadly disease or leave a person with lifelong complications. People used to think measles and mumps were mild too.

You can get chicken pox from being exposed to someone with shingles. Don't know about the reverse.

Super Contributor

My daughter sent me this the other day and I found it quite interesting....

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/g1lev1/an-outbreak-of-liberal-idiocy

And my grandson's pediatrician also sent out the same kind of letter to all her patients.