Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vaccinaed but still won't

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I am uncertain what some people assume "family gathering" is.  What is different about that if your family is out and about and among the public during the day, like other people.

What about "family" makes them safer?  Not sure I get that totally. 

If they are unvaccinated, there is no difference.  In fact, when we just had that horrible spike in cases here, contact tracing was showing that the majority of the cases were coming from family gatherings like birthday parties, baby showers, wedding showers, other family parties and from family members bringing it into the home.

It was not from being out in retail establishments, restaurants, bars, etc. 

^^^THIS!!!!^^^

I find it amazing that people who have been afraid to go to the grocery store for the past year, now all of a sudden are planning family gatherings with what could be even more deadly variants which at this point are a real unknown. Sitting at the same table with your son, daughter, grandchildren or Uncle Henry is the same as sitting at a table with complete strangers. Covid does NOT understand familial relationships, nor does it care. I believe unless you live under the same roof or crawl in bed with someone, you are putting yourself at risk.

That being said, we have gone out to dinner a few times to celebrate milestones in our lives. We have not included family or friends and have only chosen restaurants that take extreme precautions.

@Sooner @Lipstickdiva 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I heard this referred to "fear of returning to normal." 

@sandy53 No.  For us it is "fear of getting sick or dying."

For us also.  Isn't "normal" a term relative to each person's lifestyle?   

@deepwaterdotter Exactly.  If you are someone who doesn't have a large family and a safety net; if you are someone who other people depend on for their survival, it's a different world.  

Some of you have the luxury of people to swoop in and take care of you.  And some of us are the swoopers-in.  

And some are just "us." 

Thank you for making this distinction @Sooner .  As someone who is a "swooper," with a bedridden person dependent on me, I appreciate your pointing this out.  Not all of us have the luxury of getting sick, even if it isn't bad enough to hospitalize us.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I feel a lot like you.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated but still cautious.  I am retired but he still works in Government.  We go to the grocery store and places like Home Depot at off times to avoid lots of people.  We did have a celebratory dinner and drinks on an outside patio where we were the only people there. Time will tell when we feel comfortable traveling and or seeing family and friends.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I heard this referred to "fear of returning to normal." 

@sandy53 No.  For us it is "fear of getting sick or dying."

@Sooner 

Hey there! Ever heard of James Garner, "Maverick/Rockford Files"? He liked to drive race cars in actual races.

Saw an interview where he was asked "aren't you afraid of getting killed"? His response, "No, but I am afraid of getting hurt". 

Me? It is none of the above: "hurt/sick or dying". Don't know why, but your reply reminded me of that interview with The Maverick.

Spoiler

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

When I decide to get the vaccine I will go and do whatever I want. What's the point otherwise? We could die sitting in our home or driving down the street, we could die of anything at anytime. If the vaccine does note make me feel safe enough to act normal then I won't be getting it. 

@Lali1 

And I am right there with you. Last stat I read said I am 10,000 times more likely to die of a lightning strike than from this +×*#= virus. Good enough for me, and now with both shots? Probably now 20,000 times or more. Think I will do what I been doing prior to March 2020.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

The vaccine is not a magic bullet, any more than a mask I've seen several posts on various forums, including this one that people are getting the vaccine and are now

"living like there's no tomorrow".  

@software 

I have been living "in the now" for many decades. There has never been a guarantee given to me that I will see another tomorrow. So, I live in the present, not the past, or for the future. Each day is important enough for me to live it to the fullest.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Less than 50 people a year die from lightning strikes. 

Covid is real, it kills many and leaves many with serious side effects 

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

And you don't think we know this already? 

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

And you don't think we know this already? 

See Post #75, @KKJ 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Thank you