Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vaccinaed but still won't

@Katcat1 wrote:

The last I heard is you should still wear your mask.  I am waiting for the President to say "The coast is clear."

I don't expect the president to say that any time soon. I will follow my local health department rules instead of going by what he says. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't had a fear of going out at all  We never stopped eating inside restaurants, movie theaters, shopping, hairdresser,  zoos, wineries, doctors, dentists, grocery stores, Lowe's etc. We eat out at least once a week inside (in Arizona outdoor isn't real comfortable from April to October) since we were allowed to. We've both had our shots and nothing has changed for us. We've had a plumber, Gardner and a contractor come over for estimates or work and I didn't make them wear a mask. Tomorrow I'm going to the mall. I'm not going to live in fear

Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter way back in 2020 said to me, “Mom, what are you going to do that’s any different.”

I said, “What are you talking about?”

She said, “Well, you still go to lunch with your friend 3 or 4 times a week.  You go to places like you used to do.”

I wear the mask like I’m asked to do, but I never ever touch my face.

I never have done that.  The minute I get in my car, I get out a wipe that has anti-bacterial stuff on it.  I spray my steering wheel, my purse handle and he zipper.  I wipe down the door handle, everything I’ve touched.

I did that from the beginning, but you know...because I’ve alwas been a germ-a-phone, I wiped down my hands and car BEFORE Covid.  Especially in places like the pharmacy and grocery store.

Now to be honest, I broke my back in March of last year.  I laid in terrible pain for 2 weeks til my daughter came to help me from Colorado.

She made my Drs appoints, drove me there and went to the grocery store for about 6 weeks.  She and her sisters and her family reorganized and cleaned my house from top to bottom.

Anyway, I think it’s good to be careful and think before we act.  I guess I’m lucky because I’m the oldest person in my immediate family.  My daughters defer to me and don’t boss me around and hover over me.

We all have to do what works for them.  We need to respect others and their decisions in dealing with Covid.

That’s how I’ve always conducted my life.  I suspect from reading other people’s posts, they’re the same way.

So to sum up my daughter’s question that she already knew the answer to.....

I’m living my life.  I hope others are to.

Esteemed Contributor

DH gets his second shot next week. I already got mine last week. Two weeks after DH's shot we have a date with friends who already had their shots.We're going to our favorite pub. We haven't been there or any inside dining establishment in over a year.

We will wear our masks until seated. We will only go to select places who we know follow distancing & enforce mask wearing.If we happen to go somewhere that doesn't follow protocol we will leave, period.

I gave up a big chunk of my life. This is my reward.I need to start living again. Life is too short & I'm not getting any younger.

Honored Contributor

It can't be ignored that all the vaccines were developed using the original virus. What that means is there is little known about the protection those vaccines will give us if we get infected with a variant...and there are many variants, the list is growing. Mask wearing now is more important than ever before.

Honored Contributor

When things opened up in our area we were there. Restaurants started with outdoor dining, then not to long after, indoor at limited capacity. We have always been going. Husband was at grocery store, Lowe's, Home Depot,etc. almost every day during the past year. We also went on vacation last summer. We always wear a mask out and in stores as it is required. And we also visited family. Tomorrow our restaurants open to 90% capacity.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I heard this referred to "fear of returning to normal." 

@sandy53 No.  For us it is "fear of getting sick or dying."

Respected Contributor

When I decide to get the vaccine I will go and do whatever I want. What's the point otherwise? We could die sitting in our home or driving down the street, we could die of anything at anytime. If the vaccine does note make me feel safe enough to act normal then I won't be getting it. 

Honored Contributor

The vaccine is not a magic bullet, any more than a mask is.

Just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get Covid, hopefully with the vaccine your experience will be mild.

Do what feels right for you & don't let anyone shame/guilt you into feeling differently

I've seen several posts on various forums, including this one that people are getting the vaccine and are now living like there's no tomorrow.  I don't know where that mindset comes from but it's not correct.    Even with the vaccine, you can still get covid

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

The vaccine is not a magic bullet, any more than a mask is.

Just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get Covid, hopefully with the vaccine your experience will be mild.

Do what feels right for you & don't let anyone shame/guilt you into feeling differently

I've seen several posts on various forums, including this one that people are getting the vaccine and are now living like there's no tomorrow.  I don't know where that mindset comes from but it's not correct.    Even with the vaccine, you can still get covid

Once I'm vaccinated, if by some strange fluke I still caught Covid, I'd be pretty much guaranteed to get a mild version. Because of that I will feel quite safe around others.

You know the trope that some have been saying that "most people who catch Covid get a mild case?" Well, vaccinated, those odds go infinitely even further in my favor.

And I will feel free to do a lot -- with other vaccinated people who are in the same boat as me. People who are not vaccinated, I would not want to accidentally asymptomatically infect, even though the risk for that is low, so I would not want to gather with them unmasked etc like I did pre-2020.

I'll wear masks in public because it's polite and to protect unvaccinated people, same as before. Private gatherings, being willing to go places with larger crowds, and getting together with other safe households are the biggest changes I foresee.

When you're vaccinated, infected people whether symptomatic or not, stop being a threat. I look forward to it. I have grown very weary of seeing other people as threats to my health. But if someone can give me a serious disease that could go very wrong for me, and I have no protection against it, a threat is what they are. Vaccinated, the threat is gone. That will be wonderful.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr