Respected Contributor

Re: Vacations with the family: I can NOT be the only....

[ Edited ]

Count me out - the one bedroom is bad enough but one bathroom for that many ppl - - sounds like those sleeping in that bedroom might hear ppl coming and going in the middle of the night; not to mention you can usually hear the toilet flushing!

Dad used to rent a house with enough bedrooms/bathrooms but I did not like one of my sister in laws so stopped going.   The last time I went with the family I stayed in a hotel within walking distance of the house.  That worked well.

Respected Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@SahmIam Sounds awful no way would I sleep on floor for 10 days!  

Our family do an annual vacation some coming from U.K. N.Y. AZ and us in CA and we all meet on a cruise ship selected each year by different members of family.

Our ages range from seniors (80’s) down to teenagers (15’s) this way the cruise accommodates everybody’s needs - we all meet at dinner whatever we have been doing all day.  All have suites with balconies can meet up for tea or drinks whatever or even party in your suite.   It works for all of us and we love to see each other.

We found this solution after lots of trial and error.  Next year we meet and cruise around Italy already booked for 16 of us.  Two coming from Australia.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution and have a good vacation.

This is a highly unusual solution LOL. Your family is indeed highly successful. Congratulations. Who says money cant buy happiness, eh?

Trusted Contributor

That's a shame.  It wasn't right for one person to make an assumption about so many other people and arrange plans according to that assumption.  I would not go under those circumstances and frankly I wouldn't feel badly about not going.  It was a lesson learned I think.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam :  Obviously your DFIL has plenty of money, so why don't you encourage him to buy nice sleeping bags, etc., for his guests.  I am sure he is disappointed that no one wants to come and visit.  Help him see how he can make this vacation a very pleasant and comfortable one for his guests.  It was a nice gesture but just needs some tweeking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Maybe I am just dumb, and old fashioned, but if I am having guests, I try to make everything as comfortable, and nice for them as I can

I don't like this everyone muck in together ,and we will all be fine, concept. Taking the comfort, and privacy of others into consideration, would and should be top priority

He really sounds selfish, Why didn't he at least draw straws for the bed ,or let everyone take turns sleeping in it for a night? I still wouldn't go, but at least I would say, it doesn't make him look like a selfish, obnoxious , host. 

I can just imagine the menu, and it makes me queasy. I  doubt that someone like this, takes others dietary limits seriously, either

@cherry  That’s what I was thinking too. When you host a get together, you put your guests first, and try and make them feel special and pampered. He sounds extremely self-centered, and narcissistic. There is no way I would spend my precious vacation time with someone like that, even if they are family. 

I agree with both of you...he sounds very selfish and uncaring.  Just because he's very fit....so what?..... just sounds like he's very self centered.

The whole thing stinks!...between not getting a decent night's rest, no privacy for getting changed, limited bathroom use (can you imagine being the last person to get into the shower after a day on the beach?!!) just sounds like an endurance test not a vacation!

So fine if he wants to do things his way but the fact that he's upset that others don't want to do this?!!  ....Unbelievable!

ETA:  I can only assume that no women in this group do their makeup or hair....even in a minimal way at the beach?

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom  This siuation needs more than nice sleeping bags and tweeking. Unless he is planning on renting porta potties this could be a major problem. As it stands he is expecting  9 people to use one restroom. One toilet for 9 people! There is a very good chance that with 9 people at any given time especially in the morning more than one person will need to use the bathroom at the same time. And I am not talking about taking a shower.  Hope no one comes down with a stomach virus. I am floored that a sane adult would even suggest that many people piling into a one bed one bath unit. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  I have stayed in lovely condos on the shore and they will sleep 8 or 10 for $5,000.  The last one we rented had three baths comfortabley slept 8.  He could have rented two of them and everyone would be comfortable.  Why would he rent a place that sounds gorgeous for a well to do couple and expect everyone else to enjoy sleeping like a homeless person.

Honored Contributor

For $10,000, he could have found something with more bedrooms and bathrooms.  Just seems very strange...

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SahmIam :  Obviously your DFIL has plenty of money, so why don't you encourage him to buy nice sleeping bags, etc., for his guests.  I am sure he is disappointed that no one wants to come and visit.  Help him see how he can make this vacation a very pleasant and comfortable one for his guests.  It was a nice gesture but just needs some tweeking.

I can only say that nice sleeping bags still would not cut it in my world... The man should have rented a place with more than one bedroom to begin with. I'm sure the group could live without the grand piano... 

Not knowing the man, perhaps it really was intended as a nice gesture, but it almost feels more like the sovereign was anticipating a command performance, with he and the consort in the bed chamber while the guests 'made do'... Silly, really. For what he paid, he could have rented a house and no one would need to 'rough it'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Sounds like an episode of Suvivor .....