Honored Contributor

Re: Vacations with the family: I can NOT be the only....

I can get up and down off the floor all day long but there's no freaking way I want to sleep on the floor.  Fit people like a comfortable bed as much as anyone.

And ONE bathroom for 15 people?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There are some screws loose in this arrangment.

Honored Contributor

When we travel we always stay in a hotel, whether family is involved or not.   That's just us as we both like our privacy and etc.  Sorry but if we were put in that situation, we'd decline or make other reservations and spend time with the family during the day or evening.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I can't imagine that local ordinances would allow that many people to stay in a one bedroom/one bathroom unit!

Some friends of mine just sold their 45 unit, beach front resort on one of the Florida gulf coast barrier islands. Of those 45 units, only 5 had two bedrooms and only 3 of those had two bathrooms. The rest were one bed/one bath condos. Occupancy for those was a maximum of 4 people, with 2 in the bedroom and 2 on the sleeper sofa. That's all the local short-term rental code would allow, and it was strictly enforced. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

It's the one bathroom in the master bedroom that would be the deal-breaker for me. That would not end well.

For a bed, I could bring a zero gravity chair, or sleep in a recliner.  

I would not sleep on the floor.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam  I would only go for a one-day visit, if that is even feasible for you.  Is it possible that your dad really wants everyone to find a hotel?  I am not a camper, but I would not think that 80 year old people would want to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl  I'm not going. I don't like the beach and I'm not shelling out $400 a NIGHT for a basic hotel room just to appease my in-laws. Everyone will be here for a month; the beach rental is for 10 days. I'll see them before and after.

80 year olds who are fit and active can and do sleep on the floor/ground in sleeping bags. My in-laws and one of the guests did just a few months ago. They don't demand what they won't deliver, I'll give them that. I simply don't choose to do it nor will I put my disabled son in that situation (that's another issue but I won't go into it). So, they'll do their thing, I'll do mine. So far, out of the fifteen, they have 9 who will be camping out. I know my son and his cousin (both 13) plan on sleeping out on one of the decks so they see the ocean, the moon and the stars. For them, this is going to be great! Lol. Youth!

Respected Contributor

I am going out on a limb and saying that the owners of this vacation rental probably have no idea that your father in law is planning on packing 15 people now down to 9 in a one bedroom one bath unit. 

I don't care how physically fit people are. Is he going to limit the number of times that people can use the bathroom, the number of showers they can take?  How can people get dressed or do they have to do that out in front of everyone?  I'm sorry but this is nuts.  

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey  Don't know, don't care. Not my problem. Those who choose to go do so with eyes wide open. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe I am just dumb, and old fashioned, but if I am having guests, I try to make everything as comfortable, and nice for them as I can

I don't like this everyone muck in together ,and we will all be fine, concept. Taking the comfort, and privacy of others into consideration, would and should be top priority

He really sounds selfish, Why didn't he at least draw straws for the bed ,or let everyone take turns sleeping in it for a night? I still wouldn't go, but at least I would say, it doesn't make him look like a selfish, obnoxious , host. 

I can just imagine the menu, and it makes me queasy. I  doubt that someone like this, takes others dietary limits seriously, either

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Maybe I am just dumb, and old fashioned, but if I am having guests, I try to make everything as comfortable, and nice for them as I can

I don't like this everyone muck in together ,and we will all be fine, concept. Taking the comfort, and privacy of others into consideration, would and should be top priority

He really sounds selfish, Why didn't he at least draw straws for the bed ,or let everyone take turns sleeping in it for a night? I still wouldn't go, but at least I would say, it doesn't make him look like a selfish, obnoxious , host. 

I can just imagine the menu, and it makes me queasy. I  doubt that someone like this, takes others dietary limits seriously, either

@cherry  That’s what I was thinking too. When you host a get together, you put your guests first, and try and make them feel special and pampered. He sounds extremely self-centered, and narcissistic. There is no way I would spend my precious vacation time with someone like that, even if they are family.