Respected Contributor

Re: Vacations with the family: I can NOT be the only....

So the guy with the bed can't understand why others don't want to sleep on the floor.  Too funny.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam: One night in a sleeping bag? Maybe...  Ten nights??? NO WAY!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer   Well, we're family and last time we went camping we slept on the ground and everyone is just being grouchy and I really have no time for this and.....

Yep.

I'm staying home and doing my own thing. I don't even like the beach, lol. 

Respected Contributor

If I had to get into a sleeping bag on the floor,when the next people came to rent the house I would still be on the floor.🤣 No can do!

Trusted Contributor

Wow for 10,000 I would think there would be more than one bedroom!!  We rent a place every summer at the beach and it’s just the four of us and usually at least 3 bedrooms, no where near 10,000....I don’t blame you for not wanting to go, I would not go either, no offense, but none of you are spring chickens....I’m mid 50’s myself and wouldn’t dream of sleeping on any floor.  It’s ok for kids...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My late husband and I would rent a cottage in North Carolina every year.  As the years passed the cottage would be huge, I mean like 2 and once 3 full kitchens, enough bedrooms as a small hotel, etc.

We'd invite friends and family.  Some would come for a few days, some the entire time.

It was wonderful.  I hate going out in the sun so it was perfect for me.  I could shop, crochet in the house and walk out the door to watch the people swim (we had our own pool).

Something like that only works if there are enough bedrooms, bathrooms and space for each family. 

The most important thing is to have people who are willing to 'work' together (i.e. food, if you want to go out alone, etc).

It only takes one 'controlling' person to cause problems.  Luckily, we never had that problem.  My friends and family are all easy going and live and let live.

Everyone brought some food and if we needed something, someone would get it and all would chip in.

We usually all went out to eat a few times as a group.  Each person kept track of the cost of their meal and it worked great.

One amazing thing we had was my late husband had a very good friend who was a chef at a well-known restaurant in Middleburg, Va.

The way he wanted to pay my husband for his share of the cottage (it was just him and sometimes his son) was to bring all of the spices, sauces, etc he needed to prepare the meals.  He'd prepare amazing dinners as if we were at his restaurant every evening.    My husband and other's would buy the meat, etc needed to complete the meal.

I (and others) have some wonderful pictures of the families and friend's.

It's too bad that doesn't happen more often these days.

I do know a few people who still do something like that with their families.

These days people grow apart and only see each other at funerals.

Sad, really sad.

I sure don't blame you about the one bedroom thing.  I'm very weird about 'my space'.  I like my space and my late husband was also very specific about his privacy.  He was a bit of a clean freak.  

Having our own bedroom, TV, etc made it easy for him to enjoy himself.

An interesting fact is a week before he suddenly died, we'd just gotten back from the beach with all of our friends and family (like we'd done every year).  We'd also just celebrated 38 years of marriage and his birthday.  Also 2 of my daughters are born (2 years apart, 1 week difference, so we'd celebrated that.

It was an amazing time and we all have those memories and pictures.  I look at the pictures and wonder and think about the fact that he would be dead suddenly in a little less than one week.

When he was with his family (we have 3 daughters and now 8 grandchildren) he was the happiest.

My advice to everyone is to enjoy your life now.  Make lots of memories because you never know when someone you love will just drop dead.  

My brother's girlfriend was only 52 and she died while driving him down the road.  She just died with her hand on the wheel.  He pulled over the car and she was dead.

Get out there and make peace and be happy in your life.  It could end at any time.  

Not being morose, it's just a fact....so there you go!

Sounds like you have amazing family and friends...so sorry about your husband and like you said you created wonderful memories, you are very fortunate.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Gosh, it would be one thing if it were just the kids in a sleeping area but adults? I honestly could not do it. I guess if enough family either don’t go or make other arrangements he’ll get the idea. I’m just flabbergasted over these arrangements. 

Respected Contributor

No way!

Geesh, my SIL & I once took 7 of her grandchildren (ages 8 - 15) to Disney World and rented a home with 5 bedrooms and 3-1/2 baths plus sofabed in den. 

And the younger kids probably would have loved to sleep in sleeping bags...

Denise
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam I must say your post had me laughing so hard that my side hurts. Your father in law is something else and I agree that I am at an age where I will NOT sleep on the floor either (unless I have no choice) nor will I share a place that has only one bathroom.

We had a family reunion at my grandmother's home and because people were too cheap to get hotel rooms some slept in tents outside...again NOT me! 

My sister in law is planning a family trip to Puerto Rico and wants to rent a home for 15 people... when my husband informed me he started laughing and said I can tell by your silence you have already OPTED OUT!Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I totally understand why you aren't going, I'd go.  I wouldn't go or I would  stay in hotel or motel, assuming I could book one not too far from them.  What I don't understand is why no one  will tell dear old Dad.  $10,000 for 10 days  is a lot to spend for a one bedroom when he knew full well that he'd invited and army of people to stay.  I wonder if he really wanted everyone to accept.  It could like those distance weddings that couples invite people to but the don't expect or WANT everyone they invite to come.  We did summer rentals back in the day when our girls were young but we always made sure there was enough room for everyone to sleep. I never rented a place that had cots.  It was sleeping bags for the kids and thank heavens for air mattresses.  Often there was a sleep sofa.  I don't know see how anyone could invite people, especially foreign visitors, and then not have a comfortable place for them to sleep.  That's bizarre.