Honored Contributor

Re: Vacations with the family: I can NOT be the only....

@SahmIam That would not be my idea of a vacation.  Can't you tell them you would be willing to make a day trip to visit?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam   Oh my - I already feel your pain in oh so many ways. I've also checked out in yrs past (family) beach houses to rent. It is very easy to find houses offering LOTS of bed rooms and with rollout sofas/love seats (even easy chairs) that offer somewhat comfy places to rest weary heads after a day at the beach.

After all is said and done, NO to a sleeping bag for me and DH for one or two nights let alone a full month. It's really a shame Dad & Mum didn't rent a place with real beds and bed rooms. It's also easy to find a great multi bedrom place to rent for (much) less than $10K.

I'd be out as in not going on this family get away OR I'd be finding my own house to rent in close prox.

Respected Contributor

How many bathrooms???????

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear   Many people do; especially those who live there year round and don't have a family.

This was originally a 2 story home built back in the 50's. The owner converted it into 2 "homes"; the lower level has 3 bedrooms and a family lives there year round. This one is the upper level (all separate everything) and is used as a luxury rental year round.

Like I said, it's beautiful; lots of space but the man only wanted 1 bedroom for himself so...that's how he did it.

Super Contributor

While I would not be happy with the set up of only one bedroom at a beach house, if I committed to going I'd invest in some very high quality air mattresses and make the best of it.  Some of the air mattresses are like 3 to 3 1/2 feet off the ground so you do not feel like you are sleeping on the floor.  I know that's not ideal, but I know that would be the way I'd go.   I cannot believe this lovely beach house only has one bedroom.  If it's a rental would do that???  I could see if it was a condo, but a house having one bedroom seems strange and no pull out sofas is even more odd.  

Honored Contributor

Usually places like that can accommodate many guests.  

The place where we have our lake house has many bedrooms, day beds, sofa beds - they usually state how many people the house can sleep.  

How many bathrooms does this place have?   It sounds very expensive for very little.  I would never sleep on the floor with that many people.  

Honored Contributor

@alicedee  Yes, with the 13 year olds.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604   One.It's large and is part of the Master Suite.  Looks like there is an outside shower as well.

Honored Contributor

Frankly, I think your fil is short on common sense.  This group of people are too old to be sleeping on the floor.  If there's room, I'd suggest he invest in some raised air beds.  Too bad but it sounds as though the whole vacation eill be a bust due to his poor planning.  Where was his wife when he was planning this fiasco?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would never stay either. Crazy for them to think you would all do that. Where are the sleeping bags and pillows? How about bathrooms? You are doing the right thing.