Honored Contributor

Re: Vacations with the family: I can NOT be the only....

I can't think of anything worse than sharing a bathroom with that many people. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I can't think of anything worse than sharing a bathroom with that many people. 

@Bri369. Me neither.

Honored Contributor

oh my goodness only 1 bedroom for all those people. How many bathrooms??? if there is only 1 I would find a local motel to stay. I too would not be comfortable to sleep on the floor and with all those people. Expecting 80's yr old's to sleep on the floor is poor planning. 

the house may be a beauty and mom/dad spent a fortune on rent for the month but I too would tell thanks for no thank you, we will spend it at a motel or just do a day visit and drive home.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot - and if they have a septic system it might sooner than anyone thinks, lol.

By: KittyLouWhoToo that toilet is going to be out of order in a few days.  LOL

That's exactly what I was thinking! If the house has a septic system, it's doubtful that it can handle that much 'business'.

Also, has anyone other than the OP mentioned that there's a family who lives year 'round on the 1st floor?

Yikes! I can't imagine living beneath a beach rental property. Those would be some mighty loooong summers.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

The OP has stated repeatedly that this top floor apartment was designed for the owner with one bedroom and one bathroom. It sounds like it was designed for one person not a group of 9-15 people. This is the 21st century not 1910. people do not expect to stand in line 9 deep to use the bathroom in the morning. Those going to this vacation spot better bring linens and towels as I am sure there won't be enough for 9 people. Again I am willing to bet that the owner of this vacation apartment had no idea that at least 9 people are getting ready to descend. The county usually has very strict rules about how many can stay in a short term vacation rental and it is usually tied to how many beds are in the unit. 

Valued Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

$ 1,000.00 a night???  One THOUSAND a night for ONE bedroom? 

I was born and raised and continue to live in Sarasota, Florida ...you need to come here to our shore in the summer....

Lizzie I have been to Sarasota to vacation many times! It is beautiful. The sunsets are gorgeous!  Very good advice! Em

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When did we become a society of people who needed their own bedroom and bathroom?  Very few people all over the world actually have this in their daily life.  

If given a choice, I'd do without comforts for a short  to enjoy time with family.  Once they are gone, we probably would do anything to see them again.

I grew up in a household of 9 with one bathroom.  My parents had strict rules for busy times....especially mornings.  Baths and hair washing had to be done the night before.  No makeup applied or hair styling in the bathroom....had to use our bedroom mirror.  If you were brushing your teeth and a sibling HAD to go to the bathroom....you let them in.

A couple of times I remember when we all got the vomiting/ diarrhea crud....can you imagine 9 people using one bathroom with that?

Sure it can be done, and many do it with no problems.  But it sure wouldn’t be my idea of a vacation!  Hope the group stays healthy!

Esteemed Contributor

Ugh, there's no way I would take a vacation like that with extended family. I also hate camping. I am not sharing my privacy with a bunch of semi-strangers (which is what distant relatives you hardly see are.)

Honored Contributor

I took vacations to get away from people, so there’s no way I would consider this beach trip, period.

I would also question the safety of this rental if everyone that’s been invited, came.   We’ve heard so many news stories of balconies, piers, dance floors, collapsing from the weight of too many people.   

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

...I can just imagine the menu, and it makes me queasy. I  doubt that someone like this, takes others dietary limits seriously, either

@cherry 

The menu?  Why, it's a weenie roast on the beach, of course!  It's just like camping!  It'll be fun!  Stomach can't handle weenies?  I suggest you stake out the floor space closest to the one stinking (literally!!) bathroom...the line could be very, very long!  I'm gagging just thinking about it! 

@SahmIam 

It's the one bathroom thing...no way in hale!!  

See the source image

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~