Super Contributor

Re: Vacation advice for Seattle area

I don't know where you are coming from, but Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, China Town, The waterfront and there are many top notch restaraunts and brewerys to chose from. The weather is a big "if" so bring a light coat and umbrella just in case...we are known for our rain, but the weather should be great. I hope you enjoy our city!!!!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

If you have time, @LovingLife2, you may even want to take a ferry to Victoria to see the Butchart Gardens.  The ferry ride itself is fun, if you like to be around the water and boats. 

Another ferry idea is to go to one of the San Juan Islands or just take a tour around the harbor area. 

Be sure to bring your passport if you go to Victoria.  I didn't and they let me back in to the US but it was a little awkward and uncomfortable.

Or take a sea plane..........loved it

Respected Contributor

@hummermom wrote:

I'm from Seattle, so here's my advice: Good suggestions for the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square and the Pike Place Market. I would also go to the observation deck of the Space Needle.

Not sure how much time you have or your interests (and access to a car), but the Snoqualmie Falls (about 50 miles east of Seattle) is pretty cool.

The restaurants can be expensive, but one recommendation is Tom Douglas's restaurants. He has four or five of them in downtown Seattle; some are formal dining spots and some are more casual (bakery and pizza). Lola's has a great breakfast, and his Coconut Cream Pie is to die for!

I would definitely check with your hotel; I'm sure they can assist you with recommendations

The weather in late June is usually 70's with low humidity--sometimes partly cloudy and sometimes sunny. I would pack a lightweight raincoat and a sweater for the evenings.

Enjoy the city!

I am frequently in Seattle -- one of my favorite cities on the planet.  hummermom has great suggestions here.  Lola is a wonderful restaurant as is another Tom Douglas spot called Dahlia Lounge.  They are not cheap but worth it.  If you are staying downtown, I would walk on a ferry to Bainbridge Island so you can have the experience of crossing the Sound.  If you are a walker, you can easily walk to the little shops on Bainbridge and pick up fun things.

Enjoy it.  I agree that homelessness has exploded in an odd way, though the City seems to be making it a high priority.  Despite that situation, I never feel 'unsafe' in Seattle.  Such nice people.  (can you tell I like it there?)

Honored Contributor

@LovingLife2

Where are you visiting from?  That would help me make suggestions.  

Contributor

We are coming from Wisconsin.  These have been great ideas! Thanks to everyone!

Respected Contributor

i went to the Seattle area a few years ago. beautiful country and the mountain ranges! just breathtaking!   it was August and i froze in my lightweight summer clothes. went to Butchart Gardens . so cold i had to buy a fleece hoodie!     we traveled to Victoria via Vancouver BC ferries at Tsewassen . you take the i-5 and go through customs  into Canada which cantake a while.   in WA state, Anacortes has a ferry system too . at the time the car ferries were all booked.  Have a wonderful time, you will fall in love with the beauty of the Seattle area!

Honored Contributor

@LovingLife2 wrote:

We are coming from Wisconsin.  These have been great ideas! Thanks to everyone!

The Pike Place Market is a must but be prepared it will be crowded.  If it is a nice day have lunch on top of the Space Needle. They charge you just to go up elevator but with lunch it is free.  The Dale Chihuly exhibit is also at the Seattle Center.  Especially beautiful in the evening.  Dinner on Alki beach at Salty's is on my tourist agenda.  Beautiful night view back to Seattle.  Wild Ginger is one of my favorite restaurants (Pan Asian).  Another really good restaurant is Ponti's Seafood Grill (on the ship canal).  Hiriam Chittenden Locks are also interesting.  It is where the boats go from fresh water to salt water. There is a fish ladder there also.  Crab Pot on the waterfront it a fun place for lunch. There is so much more to see but it looks like you have had plenty of suggestions.  Have fun!

Respected Contributor

Spoiler

The first Starbucks is right across the street from Pike's Market.  We also did the wineries just outside of Seattle.   As others have said,  the Underground is facinating.

Have fun.

Contributor

Great Ideas! Thank-you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Seattle Aquarium is nice and it's close to the Pike market. Oh and if you need to pick up any snacks, the PCC is my favorite market in Seattle. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval