Contributor

Vacation advice for Seattle area

Hello!  

My husband is going to a conference in Seattle the end of June and I am tagging along to spend a few days afterwards to view the sights.  First I am curious what to pack-what should we expect for weather at that time?  Also, what attractions, restaurants should we be sure to see since it is our first time there? We have 3 and a half days and that is all-but we also have  a few evenings available so I want to plan a fun trip. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Vacation advice for Seattle area

Definitely do "Seattle Underground Tour" and Pike's Market.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Find out when events are held.  We were there in June 2014 and marathon had streets blocked or detoured.  It was a mess.

Contributor

Great advice-thanks!  Any geat restaurants or eating places?

Honored Contributor

@LovingLife2 wrote:

Great advice-thanks!  Any geat restaurants or eating places?

@LovingLife2

There's a great seafood restaurant that my sister took us to when we were there and it's pretty famous. Ivar's Salmon House. Just look at their menu and I promise you'll be drooling! Woman Wink

If you have the time I recommend driving up to Vancouver, BC.

To be honest it was my favorite part of the Seattle trip!

Valued Contributor

Words of warning!  There is an unbelievable amount of construction going on in this city so getting around can be difficult.  And the number of homeless is depressing.  If you are staying downtown, a trip to Pike Market is a must see, but go in the am because if the cruise ships are in town, the place is jam packed.  Chihuly Glass Museum at Seattle Center is incredible and even though it's expensive, take a ride to the top of the Space Needle - a nice day the view is incredible.  Baseball at Safeco Field is fun and the Mariners are winning right now (no guarantee that will keep happening). Seattle is a hard town to walk in because it is hilly but the neighborhoods are fun to explore and the downtown bus system isn't too bad.  Weather can be cool in June, rainy too of course, but we've had a beautiful spring so who knows.  Have a great time - 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have time, @LovingLife2, you may even want to take a ferry to Victoria to see the Butchart Gardens.  The ferry ride itself is fun, if you like to be around the water and boats. 

Another ferry idea is to go to one of the San Juan Islands or just take a tour around the harbor area. 

Be sure to bring your passport if you go to Victoria.  I didn't and they let me back in to the US but it was a little awkward and uncomfortable.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Crab Pot, it's on one of the piers, has a dish that is often shared where they bring out butchers paper then give you mallets. The waiter comes out with a bowl of shelled crab, lobster, and corn on the cob and dumps it in the center of the table. My husband and brother in law shared one and they enjoyed eating it.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'm from Seattle, so here's my advice: Good suggestions for the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square and the Pike Place Market. I would also go to the observation deck of the Space Needle.

Not sure how much time you have or your interests (and access to a car), but the Snoqualmie Falls (about 50 miles east of Seattle) is pretty cool.

The restaurants can be expensive, but one recommendation is Tom Douglas's restaurants. He has four or five of them in downtown Seattle; some are formal dining spots and some are more casual (bakery and pizza). Lola's has a great breakfast, and his Coconut Cream Pie is to die for!

I would definitely check with your hotel; I'm sure they can assist you with recommendations

The weather in late June is usually 70's with low humidity--sometimes partly cloudy and sometimes sunny. I would pack a lightweight raincoat and a sweater for the evenings.

Enjoy the city!

Regular Contributor

The Underground Tour is worth your time.  I took a food tour at Pikes Market so you may search the internet for one of those - what is the 1st Starbucks really isn't.  Both of those gave a bit of local history.  If you enjoy shopping, I found Uwajimaya (Asian market) pretty interesting and don't forget a stop at the first Nordstroms.  I found the underground metro system very easy to navigate but there was still a bit of walking.