Honored Contributor

I've had McAfee and Norton and with both ended up with major problems. (McAfee was awful) I've had Kaspersky for almost 2 years now. So far, so good.

Respected Contributor

Anything is better than McAfee. I have been using Norton for years but it is always interesting to find out what people are doing.

Trusted Contributor

Norton, I use the Internet Security one. I've used it for many years and never have had any issues. I don't find that the Norton I use slows down my PC.

Respected Contributor

I had terrible trouble with Norton a few years ago and was told it was too big for my notebook and was better suited for large companies. I spent 6 hours on the phone with India trying to get it off my system. They wanted to sell me a different one and charge me for taking it off.

Your cable company usually offers a free virus protection service but I have Microsoft which is free also.

Respected Contributor

McAfee is horrible. It came with my 1st computer, I could never do anything during the updates that took forever.

Respected Contributor
On 1/5/2015 DARING GREATLY said:

Norton, I use the Internet Security one. I've used it for many years and never have had any issues. I don't find that the Norton I use slows down my PC.

Yes, I agree. I have had Norton forever.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor
On 1/5/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/5/2015 Lotus~ said:

I have used Norton for 6 years and (knock on wood) have never had a problem with it.

I'm sorry I ever changed... oh, well, I'm dropping McAfee now Smile

Hi Noel,

If you plan on removing McAfee from your computer do a search on how to completely remove it. McAfee leaves a lot of detritus behind. I've never had any protection problems with it but is sure is resources hog.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely look into Webroot. PC Magazine rates it at the top of the list of anti-virus protection along with Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

I had McAfee for years, but never again! Last year I had a problem, and after hours on the phone, they decided to take it off my computer completely and re-install it. Three different reps including a supervisor could not figure out how to put it back! They wanted me to download something that would have cost me about $80.00 so they could put it back! I told them they were nuts, and I was left with no virus protection on my computer at all.

I was close to the end of my subscription, and my son had just gotten a new Toshiba computer that came with Webroot, and he got Geek Squad Protection for him and me. So I called them, and they said absolutely Webroot. They will remove difficult viruses with no extra charges, whereas I had to pay an extra $89.00 once to have McAfee remove a virus, on top of my subscription cost.

I've had Webroot now for about 6 months with no problems whatever.

Part of PC Mag's review:

Two independent testing labs have given Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus (2015) their top ratings, and it earned a perfect score in our hands-on malware blocking test. Add the fact that it's the smallest antivirus around and you've got a definite Editors' Choice.

Honored Contributor

Neither, IMHO.

Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and Avast. At least from my own experience, plus they were recommended by cool peeps on the Q boards. 8)

Respected Contributor

Vipre. One shot installation for life time of each computer.

I left Norton and McAfee behind years ago.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~