Honored Contributor

My online security coverage is almost up. I used to have Norton and it was fine, but a lot of people told me McAfee was even better, so I switched. I've had minor problems with it along the way.

What's the general consensus?

Question: Does either security system help protect email? I was always getting warnings with Norton, but now I get none even tough I get a lot of phishing.

What to do, what to do...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I've been happy with the Kaspersky security software for the past 7 years. Went to that from McAfee, which came with my computer and never made me feel very safe.

Honored Contributor

IMO, McAfee is the worst possible choice so, between those two, I guess I'd have to go with Norton. I honestly wouldn't choose either, though. Smiley Happy

I personally don't care for 'security suite' software. It seems to be too intrusive and system-hoggish. I use an antivirus and then other anti-malware. I have a router which has a hardware firewall and I keep the Windows firewall going in my computers. Seems pretty safe.

My husband uses a security suite that somebody talked him into. In his older computer it makes it slower than molasses in January. In his newer computer it's a lot better, though, but I still don't like it.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Neither for me. I have Bullguard.

Respected Contributor
On 1/5/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

I've been happy with the Kaspersky security software for the past 7 years. Went to that from McAfee, which came with my computer and never made me feel very safe.

DH and I both have Kaspersky. We have had a few over the years but we have had this for the past 3 years and it works wonderfully.

McAfee and Norton both use way to much storage.

Super Contributor

I use Norton 360. The reason I use Norton is not very scientific. Costco puts it on sale every April or May and I buy it there for a lot less that renewing directly with Norton. I've never had any problems.

Valued Contributor

Bitfender

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

Thanks! That was my take on McAfee, too, for some odd reason. I don't know much about Kaspersky, but I think DH has mentioned it, I'll ask.

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 chickenbutt said:

IMO, McAfee is the worst possible choice so, between those two, I guess I'd have to go with Norton. I honestly wouldn't choose either, though. Smiley Happy

I personally don't care for 'security suite' software. It seems to be too intrusive and system-hoggish. I use an antivirus and then other anti-malware. I have a router which has a hardware firewall and I keep the Windows firewall going in my computers. Seems pretty safe.

My husband uses a security suite that somebody talked him into. In his older computer it makes it slower than molasses in January. In his newer computer it's a lot better, though, but I still don't like it.

OK, I love ya, CB, but I am so not up to your league, I'll have to ask DD to translate for me {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I hear ya, though, re: McAfee... thanks!

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 Cattitude said:

Neither for me. I have Bullguard.

OK!

Now I have two new ones to look into! Thank you