Honored Contributor

VIRGINIA HALL, AMERICAN SPY, ARRESTED 76 YEARS AGO TODAY

[ Edited ]

Why have I never heard of this titan?

Lacking a leg, she nevertheless escaped the infamous "Butcher of Lyon", by disappearing in the mountains, only to be arrested by Spanish authorities 76 years ago today in just one instance of her incredible, undaunted, espionage career.

Radcliffe and Barnard alum.  Aspired to the Foreign Service, but shot herself while hunting in Turkey, thus the amputation and only one leg.

Saved countless British and American lives.  Coordinated activities, helped organize and arm the French Resistance against Nazis, among many other things.  ONLY CIVILIAN  WOMAN TO RECEIVE THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS (DSC) IN WORLD WAR II.

An astonishing resume, would you not agree.   She looks rather demure, but was a bold, heroic buccaneer:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/virginia-hall

Honored Contributor

Re: VIRGINIA HALL, AMERICAN SPY, ARRESTED 76 YEARS AGO TODAY

What a story!!!!  This woman deserved every award and medal she received and her story should be in the history books!!!!!  I am also wondering why I have never heard of Virginia Hall until now, she is certainly an unsung heroine!!!!  She is a role model to all of us, her courage, strength, loyalty, should be admired and respected by all.  

Thanks, Oznell, for this story.  I am impressed and inspired by Ms. Hall and all that she contributed to make this world a better place.  She surely has her place in heaven and should in the history books!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw, my reaction was the same as yours!   Her story reads like a movie, but the most wild, fanciful, adventurous narrative that could be imagined-- you keep thinking, all this could not have happened to her, she can't be this larger than life...

When you think of all the people, even well-known historical figures, who are celebrated and known for far fewer accomplishments, it's somewhat baffling.

Not to trivialize, but when will Jessica Chastain buy the screen rights to the story and star in it, ha.   (In the classic era of film, I could see Rosalind Russell in the role...)

Honored Contributor

Oznell

A movie would certainly bring this woman's story to light.  You are right, there are many who did so much less but received attention and recognition. 

Rosalind Russell would be a choice of mine also/  She was a true movie star and I love her as Miss Sidney in my favorite movie, Picnic !

I think Chastain is perfect for this role, you have good taste.  Movies are a great vehicle to relay stories like this especially for those of us who love History!

Honored Contributor

Hall

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

And wry humor too-- everything you'd want in a larger-than-life hero or heroine!

Honored Contributor

As always, @Oznell , a very interesting story.

It is so uplifting to learn about the ‘silent people’ who have given so much, and accomplished so much in the history of our civilization working behind the scenes.  Makes me so curious to find more of them.  

What would  we be without them?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: VIRGINIA HALweL, AMERICAN SPY, ARRESTED 76 YEARS AGO TODAY

Well put, @Drythe!  Yes, the "unsung ones".  The ones who committed themselves through actions, through what they did.  As I get older, more and more I look to those who do, who accomplish.  Words are cheap, and I know because I'm a talker!  I so respect those who do.