Honored Contributor

Re: VERY CURIOUS ALLEGORICAL PORTRAIT, BY UNKNOWN PAINTER

@Another new name Sue ,  that's a good question.  I can't deny that in parts, I have a hard time keeping track of all the names, the Duke of this, the Chancellor of that. 

But, while Jenkins doesn't skimp on historical fact, I find her a vivid writer,  full of insight.   If you'd like to see a sample of her work, I posted an excerpt from her first chapter,  in the Book Club forum.  You might be able to get an idea from that, whether you might like the book.

@Bookplate,   oh, I'm sorry your link was removed, inexplicably-- thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting it.  It's odd that some links are whisked away almost immediately, while others stay up.  Yours sounds really good --  looking forward to checking it out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell The Hardwick Hall Portrait, the Mask of Youth, Hilliard workshop, c. 1599 has a sheen or glow to it that is very similar to the Allegorical Portrait.  I've posted a copy in the following post box.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hilliard Workshop, 1599.

80BAF1AA-219D-4861-91F1-E387FF925760.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Oh, beautiful, @Mindy D -- thanks for posting!   That is so intricate, and no doubt there is meaning behind all the symbols arrayed around her.  I love this Elizabethan style of portraiture!

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate ,  I finally did get to check out online your recommendation of the Met's Tudor exhibit.   What a visual feast!  Thanks for the heads-up.  

So much of interest, like this Seadog Table--  

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 11.28.53 PM.png

And I really liked the portraits of young Edward VI,  including this one by Holbein of him as a little guy--  charming:

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 11.30.18 PM.png