Honored Contributor

Re: VENT: My Co-Worker Showed Up Sick!!!

I understand your frustrations.  I feel she should have stayed at home.  I could understand if she had no sick days and would be penalized with no pay if she did not show up.  However, this was not the case.  I realize that people get sick every where --- it's part of life and we have no control over it -- and obviously, we have no control over how other people handle it.  But I feel that if people would just use good common sense, and also have a little courtesy towards others, it would really help control the spread of illness.  

Also, another important point to consider --- Some people have good health and if they occasionally get a bug, a cold, or virus --- no big deal -- they are able to fight it off and go on.  Some people who have not good general health, and have existing health conditions, might acquire something from another and not be able to fight if off and it turns into a serious health condition.

I, myself, when I worked had this problem.  Both myself and my husband, do not have good health and when were exposed to colds, flu, virus, etc, ran the risk of acquring a serious, life threatning illness.  Both of us always got and get flu shots and pneumonia shorts and do all we can to protect ourselves.

I say -- if you are sick and have sick days and it will not affect your livelihood, then please out of consideration for co-workers or others in stores, churches, etc. --- please stay home! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

It's extraordinarily frustrating to me when people think they need to stay at home with a cough or cold. I have no patience with peop!e that take sick days all the time. You should come to work unless you're absolutely down in bed sick. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

It's no big deal unless you have a compromised Immune system.

Before I retired, if someone came in sick I sprayed Lysol ..... wiped down phones, copy machine and adding machines before I used them and didn't hide the fact I was doing it.

@Nataliesgramma 

I did the same thing!  I sprayed and wiped everything down in my immediate area.  Some made fun of me, but I didn't care!  Others thought it was great and thanked me.  After I left, I actually had people tell me that they got sick more often because I was not doing my "wellness prep."  LOL!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

I feel badly that she is 72 and still working.  Must love her job!

Honored Contributor

Happens all the time. My company gave 40 hours of personal time off a year and people saved them for when their kids were sick. 

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

This is a vent.

My co-worker who is one rank above me, showed up today sicker than a dog, and looking like death warmed over.

She has PLENTY of sick-leave time, but she never uses it, because she feels that she "has" to be there.

Even our Supervisor (we used to have 3, now we are down to 2) didn't send her home.

She is making herself worse, putting others health at risk, and is just, in my opinion, being incredibly selfish, by insisiting that she stay at work.

"No, no, I can make it. I'm fine."

I told her that she was going to put herself in to the hospital with pneumonia if she doesn't get rest.

"Oh, I've had pneumonia, walking pneumonia more tine than I can remember. It's the one shot that I insisited on getting."

I don't know if age matters, but she is 72, if that means anything.

I'm willing to bet that she will be there again tomorrow, even sicker still.

Selfish!

Some people have a martyr complex

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

Lysol wipes!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

at my job it's an adherence issue if it's unscheduled at least 24 hours in advance.  Meaning it must be approved 24 hours before or it counts against you.

the more adherence issues, the lower the rank and the worse hours you get.

It's all about having a body taking calls. They don't care if you are sick or make others sick.

I'm so glad I work at home & a germ-a-phob when I have to work in the office.

DH & I always say if I drop dead at my desk, it will be unexcused and they will write me up.

@Mary Bailey 

Our work place has similiar standards and we dont even take calls .....Of course this stringent policy was all started because certain people kept calling in on Mondays and Fridays  (the only thing wrong with them is that they wanted a long weekend-and many of them let it slip that was the case) so Management "fixed it"....Woman Frustrated  But at least now at my job position they allow us to work at home quite a bit and away from these people that now come into work sick so they aren't written up....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not me!  (*See my post)  But yes, I have a lot of sick leave.  I try not to use it very much.  Since I'm a state employee, you can accumulate as much sick time as you have.  That way you get a pile of money when you leave.I am at home today.

Honored Contributor

That used to make me so mad and one of my biggest pet peeves when I was working.  I got so I would tell the sick person I thought they were very inconsiderate and uncaring for the rest of us to come in sick and put the rest of us at risk.  I did not care if it made them mad or what.

I went to HR and voiced a complaint and a few weeks later they had a company meeting and ask all workers who were ill for the consideration for the rest of us not to come into work.

I dont blame you for being angry.  I would be too.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)