Super Contributor

Re: VENT: My Co-Worker Showed Up Sick!!!

Presenteeism (yes, there's a name for it) is definitely an issue.  I (and I advise my staff to) stay home if I have a fever or any bodily fluids spewing.  

I really don't want to get others sick.  

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

There are many reasons people go to work sick,  

Yeah, but I can’t think of a good one. Especially at 72. 

Because she's 72 doesn't mean she doesn't have to work. the OP said they are down from 3 supervisors to 2 so maybe she doesn't want to lose her job. The OP also wrote the other supervisor didn't send her home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know I hate it when that happens.  Luckily I dont work outside the home anymore. Now a days at most jobs with strict managers they send you home, or you have to wear mask.  One time I was planning to leave on a long awaited trip. My co-worker for a whole week  came into work coughing, barking and blowing nose like a foghorn...no kidding.  First day she had fever,you could tell.  I think she had too much work, and no time off.  But I was really angry.  I did catch it about 2 days before I came home from from vacation....I had to stay out work for a couple days after being off for almost 2 weeks. As I got bronchitis and was very ill. I was so angry!

Respected Contributor

I won’t take a sick day as long as I can get myself upright because no one keeps up my desk while I’m not there. My co-workers have already proven that. I’d rather drag myself to work than risk getting behind.
Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of drama, I'm curious about the three posts that were poofed out of this thread without leaving a marker behind explaining why.

Contributor

At my former place of employment, (where we were given 8 sick days) they would excuse a sick day only with a doctor’s note.  If you took a couple of days, you had to face an inquisition.  Try getting in to see a doctor on the same day you call!  Can’t be done!  Most of us would drag ourselves in to work in the hopes of being sent home by management.

I don’t know why this particular lady felt compelled to go to work while sick.  Being elderly, perhaps she is afraid of being sent out to pasture, and can’t afford to retire.  Maybe she is stockpiling her sick time in case of an emergency, or a serious illness.  Who knows?  Maybe the kindest thing to do would be bringing her a cup of hot tea or soup , maybe some lozenges and some hand sanitizer.

Respected Contributor

I work in a nursing home and of course they don't want you coming in sick. But boy, if you call out there is hell to pay.....crazy,

Esteemed Contributor

It's no big deal unless you have a compromised Immune system.

Before I retired, if someone came in sick I sprayed Lysol ..... wiped down phones, copy machine and adding machines before I used them and didn't hide the fact I was doing it.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Where I work, there is no "maximum" on the number of sick leave hours that you can accrue.

There is no cap or cut-off.

You are very lucky.  I worked for nearly 40 years at a large international company and we had minimal sick time.  And if we clled in sick, it was a mark against us when it came to performance reviews, promotions, pay increases.

Honored Contributor

I worked for nearly 40 years at a company that went from a mutual compny to a huge international corporation during those years.  We had minimal sick time.  If we called in sick, we were put on a warning status.  At 3 call-ins, we were written up.  Calling in sick was also a mark against us when it came to performance reviews, promotions, pay increases.