Esteemed Contributor

Re: VENT: My Co-Worker Showed Up Sick!!!

Where I work, there is no "maximum" on the number of sick leave hours that you can accrue.

There is no cap or cut-off.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like this "sick" person has plenty of sick time available, and there isn't a problem with using some of that sick time. I'm retired, but I always hated it when co-workers showed up at work so sick.....spreading germs everwhere on everything they touched. I wouldn't offer sympathy about how bad she's feeling, but I would tell her that you don't like the fact that she's putting co-workers at risk to get what she has. I'd also stay far away from her and would ask her to stay outside of your cube or office because you do not want to get sick.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was almost 45 and pregnant with my only child, my boss would do the same, come into work when she was contagious.  It's a very difficult situation and, although I am usually outspoken, I bit my tongue when she would brag about how she "never took a sick day".  She was a child during the depression and I think she thought she was just being a good employee.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly I don't think it would occur to me unless I was really worried about that persons health, like they were going to pass out or something.

I got sick pretty regularly as a kid and I'm not a huge worrier about germs. Now in my 50s I haven't been sick in 25+ years. People will warn me when they're sick and I"m like meh, no worries here.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you @Anonymous032819 it infuriates me when somebody comes into work sick. I work with people that do it all of the time looking like ******, and announcing how they suck it up and never call out. Then everybody else gets sick!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Working in a place like an airport with so many people going thru is probably more a threat to health than one coworker is. Take the usual precautions & you should be ok. She might have personal & important reasons to be at work & she might not even be contagious. Hope you stay well  @ Anonymous032819. 

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Where I work, there is no "maximum" on the number of sick leave hours that you can accrue.

There is no cap or cut-off.

That is amazing. Some places are not so good about sick leave.  Last year, people were roaming around our office with the flu.  I got the flu.  I took one sick day. (It was a Friday thank goodness.)  I sent an email that I was vomiting, had a fever, was falling into the wall when I tried to walk and couldn't drive.

I was subsequently told that I should have asked for permssion to take the day off.  I did not know how to take a sick day since I hadn't done it before. 

Obviously under the circumstances, it would be best for all concerned if your co-worker took the day off. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

There is no excuse for going to work sick. It only spreads disease. I have been so healthy since I quit work. Like many others, I used to pick up every contagions bug that inconsiderate coworkers brought to our corporate offices. Sickness spread like wildfire. In my department, I sent any sick people home.

Valued Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

There is no excuse for going to work sick. It only spreads disease. I have been so healthy since I quit work. Like many others, I used to pick up every contagions bug that inconsiderate coworkers brought to our corporate offices. Sickness spread like wildfire. In my department, I sent any sick people home.

Sure there is.  Maybe for you there was no excuse.  I have worked with people that are so paranoid about getting sick, they make themselves sick. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO this thread is creating drama where really none exists
This scenario is one that has happened to pretty much everyone in the workforce. So what? No big deal unless you create one. You either get sick from what your coworker has or you don't and most don't. Most people would have forgotten all about the coworker as soon as they left work. OP aren't you the one who started the thread about people who create drama where there is none?