Esteemed Contributor

VENT: My Co-Worker Showed Up Sick!!!

This is a vent.

My co-worker who is one rank above me, showed up today sicker than a dog, and looking like death warmed over.

She has PLENTY of sick-leave time, but she never uses it, because she feels that she "has" to be there.

Even our Supervisor (we used to have 3, now we are down to 2) didn't send her home.

She is making herself worse, putting others health at risk, and is just, in my opinion, being incredibly selfish, by insisiting that she stay at work.

"No, no, I can make it. I'm fine."

I told her that she was going to put herself in to the hospital with pneumonia if she doesn't get rest.

"Oh, I've had pneumonia, walking pneumonia more tine than I can remember. It's the one shot that I insisited on getting."

I don't know if age matters, but she is 72, if that means anything.

I'm willing to bet that she will be there again tomorrow, even sicker still.

Selfish!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Re: VENT: My Co-Worker Showed Up Sick!!!

There are many reasons people go to work sick,  

Honored Contributor

Have you received a flu shot this year?

Esteemed Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

There are many reasons people go to work sick,  

Yeah, but I can’t think of a good one. Especially at 72. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Yes

Trusted Contributor

Make a point of your discomfort with the contagion she presents. You needn’t be dramatic or obnoxious. Merely carry a can of Lysol and a paper towel if you just enter her office or she steps into yours. Use it to wipe a stapler or pen she might share with you.  Refuse to take any papers or folders, etc., from her without putting on plastic gloves. Stand 6 ft away when conversing. You needn’t show or express concern for her health and welfare: she’s not concerned with yours. Her age is not material. Rudeness is rudeness. 

If she comments about your defensive  “drama”, remind her that she has the right to be proud of her record of success with walking pneumonia, etc, and you have the right to protect yourself from workplace assault on your health. Say it’s nothing “personal”, but you find it careless and inconsiderate to put office mates at risk. You do

need to take precautions as long as she feels herself to be indispensable. Go about your business protectively as pointedly as she does with indifference. She won’t stay home, you won’t get her to change, but you’ll force her, even if privately,  to acknowledge her selfishness. 

You can’t change her, but you can control how you respond. Don’t rant in the office. Just carry and use the protections and if anybody thinks you’re nuts “making a point”, that’s their problem. She’s indefensible. Your actions will be reasonable as long as you don’t become an evangelist for masks, gloves and antiseptic sprays!

Trusted Contributor

I went into work sick many times when my kids were young.  We were given 5 sick days.  I needed to save those days for when my kids were too sick to go to school. Taking a day without pay was not an option!

Perhaps at 72, she is afraid to call in sick, and be considered too old and sickly to work.

I totally understand your rant!  Who wants to get sick? Just try to stay away from her as best you can.  

Esteemed Contributor

at my job it's an adherence issue if it's unscheduled at least 24 hours in advance.  Meaning it must be approved 24 hours before or it counts against you.

the more adherence issues, the lower the rank and the worse hours you get.

It's all about having a body taking calls. They don't care if you are sick or make others sick.

I'm so glad I work at home & a germ-a-phob when I have to work in the office.

DH & I always say if I drop dead at my desk, it will be unexcused and they will write me up.

Respected Contributor

So?   People come to work sick.   Children go to school sick.   People go to sporting events sick, the grocery store, on and on and on.   We are exposed to sickness everyday.  I worked for 50 years and people came sick.  I play bridge and people come sick.   You can't avoid it unless you never leave the house and don't open the door.

It's called 'life'.   I hope you don't catch what she has.  Good health.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was working, I hated it when people came in sick. And we had paid sick time. I would be tempted to tell her that I didn't want whatever she had and that I wish she would consider staying home the next time.

For what its worth, @Anonymous032819 , I hope you don't get it.