Honored Contributor

VALENTINE’S GIFT FOR SIGNIFICANT OTHER?

The first few years we were married, I purchased my DH the silky boxers w/ hearts and sayings on them. Then it dribbled down to IOUs for a message or wash his car. 

Fast forward 20 yrs., I’ve done his favorite bottle of wine, love notes, CDs, & DVDs.

Now that we’ve been married 48 yrs., Valentines Day seems a little corny. We stopped going to dinner on the 14th. Many restaurants have set menus or raise their prices and looking at a sea of red sweaters, well it became MEH!

Do you exchange or give gifts?

Respected Contributor

Re: VALENTINE’S GIFT FOR SIGNIFICANT OTHER?

I know exactly what you mean. We exchange cards. Last year we read poetry by Van the Man Morrison ( our song is Moondance). 

We go to dinner but not on Valentine day.

We hardly exchange bday gifts after 41 years. If I want something I buy. Unromantic,  but effective.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. We exchange cards. Last year we read poetry by Van the Man Morrison ( our song is Moondance). 

We go to dinner but not on Valentine day.

We hardly exchange bday gifts after 41 years. If I want something I buy. Unromantic,  but effective.

@IMW  I’ve gotten a little sneaky and email photos of things I’d like him to purchase. If online or catalogue, I’ve been guilty of including page, item # and price. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus--I think you mean IOUs for a massage?  lolWoman LOL

My DH and I won't even be on the same coasts this St. Valentine's day.  sniff sniff

Super Contributor

@IMW. Moondance has to be one of my favorite songs ever, now it'll run thru my head for hours.  He has one of the easiest-to-listen-to voices ever.

Honored Contributor

We also exchange cards plus a box of candy.

We always make dinner at home. I bought an extra vacuumed sealed prime rib when it was on sale at Christmas.

Feb is a busy month for us since both our birthdays, plus anniversary & Valentines Day are all next month.

I can't really think of anything I want or need right now so I will buy what I want when I figure it out. 

DH is looking at boots again so he will probably buy another pair of boots. I'm sure he will also pick up something special at the liquor store & lets not forget his cigars.

Honored Contributor

I believe you should go with how you feel.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We always  go out for a nice dinner and exchange cards

Since our daughters are away at school, we will drive up to see them and give them their Valentine’s gifts and take them out to dinner. 

My husband always buys them flowers and a beautiful card.   I always buy them something special too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I always buy my dh a card and candy. He loves candy. He usually gets me a card and maybe flowers. We've been together 25 years and I still think of VD as romantic. We often go out to eat, but not fancy.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

It will be 43 years together married and we treat each other the same. I receive the blue box and I give him clothing or a new watch. We either get take out or go out for dinner dependent upon my health.

My husband is a romantic kind of guy. He loves poetry and the arts. Corny? Not in our vocabulary...