Respected Contributor

Utility rebate check for over billing scam....

Just answered my phone.  It was a recording so I was on alert for some scam.  Got it:  a fellow apologized for an over billing on my utility bill and when he said for my rebate ( not “ refund “ ) check that I would need to press 1, I hung up.  Then i

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Utility rebate check for over billing scam....

What will they think of next? Yesterday was a banner day for me w/the scam calls. I got the social security account being cancelled one, the microsoft detected problems on my computer one, the IRS is going to send me to jail one, the lower my credit card rate one and the lower my energy bill one and the back brace one.....oh and last but not least the cancer screening one. Not one live person, all robo calls directing me to press whatever to speak to someone or to call such & such a number IMMEDIATELY to avoid some horrible fate.

Honored Contributor

please, ladies, stop answering the phone, let the machine do the work 

they like that you do, shows there is an actual person there,

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

please, ladies, stop answering the phone, let the machine do the work 

they like that you do, shows there is an actual person there,

@jackthebear you can say that til the cows come home.

When my m-i-l starts complaining I have to walk away.  

Honored Contributor

Business as usual.  Calls like that should surprise anyone now.  We all get them, lots of them and they aren't going away anytime soon.  It's our new reality.  I don't have a landline but I get them on my cell phone.  I've never listened to the whole call, I can always tell where the call is going by the second sentence.  Click, delete, move on.

Honored Contributor

I get more junk calls on my cell phone now than real calls.  I never answer a number I don't recognize.

I have been getting a call at least 3 times a day for the last 2 weeks from the same number.  They never leave a message.  Last night I blocked the number.  Enough is enough.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The relentless one about buying an extended warranty for my vehicle and spoofs local phone numbers hoping you'll answer, reached a new low yesterday, when they used the name and number of a local church in my area.

I never answer, but the recording leaves a message and I keep blocking their spoofed numbers.

C'mon, pretending to be a local church is a new low, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I simply just press a button on my cell phone that reports the call and blocks it from calling back.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I get more junk on my home phones than my cell.  BUT, I HATE it when I get a call or text from someone and they say, 'Who are you?'  

It must mean that someone used my cell number to spam them and they didn't answer--but do call my number to find out.

Has that ever happened to anyone?

Honored Contributor

I normally don’t answer a number I don’t recognize, but I have been expecting a call from a company that will come from an extension and area code unknown to me.  So I’ve been answering all calls.  Most are robos, so I block and hang up.  

But since I’ve been answering, I do notice that the scam and recorded calls have drastically increased.  I’ll be glad when my call finally comes and I can go back to ignoring most calls so they’ll taper off again.