Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

Why just girls? Everyone should have that choice or no one.

Trusted Contributor

For those of you that were ALL worked up it was just reported on the news that the policy  was changed, the girls Don't have to say yes.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

For those of you that were ALL worked up it was just reported on the news that the policy  was changed, the girls Don't have to say yes.

Good !  Glad to see that those who objected and spoke up (not the same thing as getting "worked up"), made a difference. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Were you worked up @sweetee2 ?  Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean they are worked up.

Glad the policy was changed, it was wrong.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Why just girls? Everyone should have that choice or no one.

@occasionalrain

That’s what I said.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Hate the idea of Big Brother now taking over a school dance.

@Love my grandkids, I guess I just don't see "Big Brother" in this. I doubt that this elementary school is as concerned about possible unwanted contact as it is about the embarrasment and angst in rejection.

That said, they would be wiser just to devise a way for the kids to have a good time without individual selection required.

I agree with all of this.

It has nothing to do with "Big Brother".  It's about a rule that isn't acceptable to some people.  That's not a Big Brother issue.

And yes, the school should probably come up with a better way.  Forcing girls to say "yes" to boys sends a bad message.  It's never too early to teach girls that boys and girls are equal, and they don't have to give in - to anything - just because a boy asks for it or wants it.  (This doesn't just apply to s*x by the way, but a whole lot of other things in life too.)

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

The school policy sounds very odd to me.  If this is an elementary school, why are they even encouraging dates????  Have the dance, let the kids go in groups of friends, and eliminate pressure.  Why on earth would they tell the girls that they must accept?????  What kind of culture are they promoting????

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe they don't want some kids to be left out or made to feel sad.  However, encouraging dating in elementary school just is not necessary.

I think it's likely that some kids do go to the dance in groups.  It's dances they're talking about, not dates.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

Nope. And that's from all my ways of looking at it. Then again, I'm anti "everyone gets a trophy" when it comes to sports, so....yeah.

I agree.

I went to lots of school dances when I was young.  Not only were they fun, but that's how we learned about social situations, how to act, what it's like to interact with school friends in that type of setting.  Some kids were popular and some weren't, some were outgoing and others were shy, some were comfortable, others ill-at-ease.  But we were exposed to this type of thing, which is important.

In life, not everyone is going to be the popular one.  Not everyone is going to come in first in the race.  It's never too soon to learn how to be gracious in saying "no", how to handle rejection, and how to interact with others.  What children learn in school and what they learn in extra-curricular activities after school educates and prepares them.  Lots of teaching moments come from school dances and similar activities. 

(If a boy is never told "no" at a school dance, how will he be expected to understand later on that it's acceptable for him to be told "no", and not only that, but "no" means "no."  This school rule is unfair not only to females, but to males as well.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@sweetee2

Clearly, this somehow got a lot of attention ....  but I'm surprised this issue never came up before at this school.  (I bet this school has a facebook page .... ha ha ha ha ha.)

I was a pretty confident kid at that age, but if I was going to attend a school function where I was forced to say yes and dance with whatever boy asked me ,.... I would have told my mother I didn't want to go.   Just because.

Personally, I just think it's wrong to put any young girl in any position where she cannot say no to unwanted touching ....  even at a school dance. 

There are better ways to teach "kindness".   What a terrible message this sends to young women.

Honored Contributor

Odds are there’s a bully in the class.  No one should be forced to dance with someone they may be afraid of, and that’s just one example of why the kids should have the right to say No.