Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

wrote:

If you dont like the rules set down, dont have your child attend.  Simple.

So a girl should miss her 8th grade graduation dance because the school made an unfair rule?  Not so simple to me.  

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I too see both sides. I understand the aspect of not being able to say no, and respecting peoples’ wishes.

But, two things - first, this is an elementary school, where children are supposed to learn social basics, including being kind and considerate to others. It’s in elementary school that you can teach children to be kind to the disabled, the mentally challenged, or those just “different” in some way. If they don’t learn it in elementary school, it’s too late. The parents? Sure, they should teach this, but many, maybe even most, do not, because they don’t feel that way themselves - they too would pass by, shun or ridicule those different. So with parents out of the equation many times, at least the school is making an effort.

Second - this takes place in an extremely religiously conservative state. Doubtful that much boy-asking-girl occurs, and everyone would have a heart attack if a boy asked a boy or a girl asked a girl. So, those things most likely would not have ever been an issue at this school. Just my personal opinion here, but I think most females who reside in Utah are taught from birth that they are subservient and second class. Those who would really fight that will run into a brick wall as long as they live in Utah. The state and its people are not going to change.

It sounds to me as if the school is trying to do a good thing, within the context of living in Utah.

Wow.  You really need to turn your watch ahead a couple of decades.  My great grandmother might have had that experience, but the younger generation especially won't buy that ******.  I've lived in Utah my whole life and I don't know anybody in that situation. 

This community is one of the fastest growing cities in Utah.  It is near Hill Air Force Base, which employees over 20,000 people, and attracts a diverse culture.

The fact that it attracts (though I wouldn’t use that word) a diverse culture is probably why this was even brought up by the girl’s mother in the first place. They’re probably not from Utah.

OMG

Trusted Contributor

When I was a young woman I attended a lecture given by a woman who was a martial arts expert.

The first thing she had us do was shout "no" as loud as we couid.

It was very strange and freeing.  

Honored Contributor

No way.  No child should be taught they have to accept any kind of touch they don't want.

Honored Contributor

BTW, were the boys told they had to accept all dance requests?

Honored Contributor

As the mother of three daughters, I do not like the fact that the girls can't say no! I'm all for teaching good manners and not having feelings hurt but this is ridiculous!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

The thought was to avoid rejection and hurt feelings. It should have been worded differently a d included both boys and girls.

It's just a dance, chaperoned, at a school. Many dances, square for example, have contact with people not of one's choosing. 

Trusted Contributor

The poor boys probably don't want to be at this fraught dance anymore than the girls do.

Trusted Contributor

First of all I've in Utah my whole life  and as usual  I find it interesting  reading all the negative remarks about this dance especially from all of you that Don't live here.

Second:  IG, you started the post and alot of you have very strong feeling about the subject and as usual the most important part of this story was left out. IT'S NOT MANDATORY.  They don't have to go.

Third: Moonchilde, Your remark about the women being subservient and second class shows that you really Don't know what your talking about. Utah is only 40% Mormon. I'm sure that's the religion your talking about.

Don't be so quick to make judgements before you have all the information  or nonething at all.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

First of all I've in Utah my whole life  and as usual  I find it interesting  reading all the negative remarks about this dance especially from all of you that Don't live here.

Second:  IG, you started the post and alot of you have very strong feeling about the subject and as usual the most important part of this story was left out. IT'S NOT MANDATORY.  They don't have to go.

Third: Moonchilde, Your remark about the women being subservient and second class shows that you really Don't know what your talking about. Utah is only 40% Mormon. I'm sure that's the religion your talking about.

Don't be so quick to make judgements before you have all the information  or nonething at all.

@sweetee2

Where you live doesn’t matter.  Girls should not be taught they don’t have a choice in who they allow to touch them.