Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

@Noel7 - oh those gym uniforms were really, really bad!

Catholic high school, it was a salmon colored dress with matching bloomers, along the lines of painters drop cloth canvas.  Why we needed bloomers, I don't know - it was all girls.

Never failed, there was always a fire drill when I was dressed in mine!

Respected Contributor

I thought we should teach women that No means No.  I understand that it is just a kiddie dance but btw it is pure biology, attraction and rejection of the speicies.  And for some kids who are rejected often their parents should work on them better maybe, like better personal hygiene, grooming, manners. It is all part of raising the kids. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

@Noel7 - oh those gym uniforms were really, really bad!

Catholic high school, it was a salmon colored dress with matching bloomers, along the lines of painters drop cloth canvas.  Why we needed bloomers, I don't know - it was all girls.

Never failed, there was always a fire drill when I was dressed in mine!

@CelticCrafter

Ours were one piece, blue with built in bloomers.  Horrendous, hideous Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@blackhole99wrote:

My husband and I were discussing this this morning and he mentioned that it was later revealed on the news that the students were given a list of all the kids names and that if they had an issue with dancing with anyone on the list to speak up before the dance. If indeed this is true everything seems to have been blown out of proportion.

That's HORRIBLE.  Kids could gang up on the others who are different in some way.

Is there no intelligent adult in that school?

No, it wasn't blown out of proportion, it still said the girls couldn't say NO.

Wow, really? 

@Noel7 said it all here.  Requiring a kid to "speak up" negatively about a classmate in elementary school?  Have the adults lost their collective minds? 

These are kids, little ones, who don't have the maturity or forethought to understand what's really going on here which is adults trying to control kids and kid interaction without actually being one. It's ridiculous! 

And we wonder why the younger generations are so entitled these days just waiting for others to solve their problems for them.  I see where they get it from.    

These so called adults need to step back, get off their control agendas, and let the kids figure it out themselves.  It's how we all learned and the majority of us are decent human beings with satisfactory conflict resolution skills learned "on the street" where they should be.  

It's amazing we older generations ever survived this far without our "adults" helping us out. The generations who fought and won two world wars must be spinning.  

@Laura14

Well said!

And most kids don't want to be a tattle tale.  How on earth would a list work?  If a kid on the list asks a girl, is an adult going to jump on him and tell him no for her? And publicly where other kids can see a rejection like that?

Let the kids figure it out, @Laura14 is right, we all did.

This IMO has been so overblown. A few kids complain to their helicopter parents and the whole thing gets out of control. It is my understanding this dance with these guidelines have been going on for awhile and this is the first time someone complained! I can't imagine that the educational professionals don't know what their doing, the parents just think they know better. They should just keep their girls at home this time and file a complaint with the school board or better yet sue the school district over it.LOL

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@blackhole99wrote:

My husband and I were discussing this this morning and he mentioned that it was later revealed on the news that the students were given a list of all the kids names and that if they had an issue with dancing with anyone on the list to speak up before the dance. If indeed this is true everything seems to have been blown out of proportion.

That's HORRIBLE.  Kids could gang up on the others who are different in some way.

Is there no intelligent adult in that school?

No, it wasn't blown out of proportion, it still said the girls couldn't say NO.

Wow, really? 

@Noel7 said it all here.  Requiring a kid to "speak up" negatively about a classmate in elementary school?  Have the adults lost their collective minds? 

These are kids, little ones, who don't have the maturity or forethought to understand what's really going on here which is adults trying to control kids and kid interaction without actually being one. It's ridiculous! 

And we wonder why the younger generations are so entitled these days just waiting for others to solve their problems for them.  I see where they get it from.    

These so called adults need to step back, get off their control agendas, and let the kids figure it out themselves.  It's how we all learned and the majority of us are decent human beings with satisfactory conflict resolution skills learned "on the street" where they should be.  

It's amazing we older generations ever survived this far without our "adults" helping us out. The generations who fought and won two world wars must be spinning.  

@Laura14

Well said!

And most kids don't want to be a tattle tale.  How on earth would a list work?  If a kid on the list asks a girl, is an adult going to jump on him and tell him no for her? And publicly where other kids can see a rejection like that?

Let the kids figure it out, @Laura14 is right, we all did.

This IMO has been so overblown. A few kids complain to their helicopter parents and the whole thing gets out of control. It is my understanding this dance with these guidelines have been going on for awhile and this is the first time someone complained! I can't imagine that the educational professionals don't know what their doing, the parents just think they know better. They should just keep their girls at home this time and file a complaint with the school board or better yet sue the school district over it.LOL

@blackhole99

If you think schools don't make many mistakes along the way, you are incorrect.

You do realize many parents ARE the professionals, I hope.

Honored Contributor

I have benn around and worked with professional people most of my work life. We all know that THE PROFFESIONALS do not AGREE with each other most of the time.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

I have benn around and worked with professional people most of my work life. We all know that THE PROFFESIONALS do not AGREE with each other most of the time.

Yeah?  Find me a professional who says girls should never say no to a male.

Waiting, waiting...

Honored Contributor

@Noel7no thanks, I'm done here.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

@Noel7no thanks, I'm done here.

@blackhole99

That's OK, I knew you wouldn't find a legitimate professional who would agree with that.  Especially in today's day and age, girls have to learn to say NO.

Honored Contributor

Really? Some school, run evidently by incompetent morons, says a young female cannot say no? Seems out of place when in real life so many females and males are assaulted, even when "they say no". What is so different, in this era of time, that makes life of young kids so different than in past decades? I understand the electronic technological world of today, I've lived it since I was 15 years old, but that changes school dances how again?

Sounds like mixed messages to me, and parents are responsible for raising their children, not any school.

Not a parent, but my opinion on the topic.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)