Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent

@Noel7wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

Adults need to stop sexualizing children.

@Isobel Archer

Sexuality is not the issue here, it has nothing to do with it and neither does ballroom dancing.  It's about free will and girls having the right to say no to a boy, even for a dance.

@Noel7  ^THIS.  For heaven's sake some think these children are being asked to audition for "Dirty Dancing" already.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

@Isobel Archer

Sexuality is not the issue here, it has nothing to do with it and neither does ballroom dancing.  It's about free will and girls having the right to say no to a boy, even for a dance.

@Noel7  ^THIS.  For heaven's sake some think these children are being asked to audition for "Dirty Dancing" already.

Where have you been?!  @Cakers3  Seriously, I was concerned and sent out a call for you Smiley Happy  I hope all is well, it's nice to see you back.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to veer off in another direction conversationally here ..... but who knows how many women have been raped or even murdered because she didn't listen to her inner voice or gut feeling that some guy was a creep and she should get away? 

(If a young girl WANTS to learn ballroom dancing (or whatever), then that's a CHOICE .....  not a stupid rule foisted on her in school, which she is forced to follow.)

Insisting that her inner voice be ignored and overridden by "good manners" is just preposterous.  Everyone should listen to their inner voices .... and the more you do, the stronger it gets.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

I think that if the school wanted to use a school-related social event as a lesson about inclusiveness, they should have chosen an event that doesn't include children relinquishing their right to refuse being touched.  The missed opportunity here would be teaching the kids a lesson about rejection.  

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Not in my world ..... I don't want to touch anyone that is offensive to me. I taught my children the same. They have choices in life.....one is turning down ANYONE that they don't want to be touched by. And if someone is trying to touch them they don't want to be near.....speak up and let the appropriate people know about it.

So are you saying a handshake should be refused if you think the person is someone "offensive."    What do you do if someone you find "offensive" touches you in giving change?  OMG - Run!

Social dancing in elementary school should be no more sexualized that the above types of contact.  

If you - and others - really care about protecting girls - you would be much more concerned about the messages they are continually given that sex is just another natural and healthy activity and participating is really no big deal - which is why condoms have been given as young as elementary school and parents are not notified if a girl wants an abortion.

You want to tell girls they can refuse "touch" but what do you tell them if they want to have sex - get the herpes shot, take the pill, here's the number for Planned Parenthood if you get "caught."  And they are told that before they even understand what sex involves.   Oh yes that's MUCH healthier than social dancing.  Wow.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Not in my world ..... I don't want to touch anyone that is offensive to me. I taught my children the same. They have choices in life.....one is turning down ANYONE that they don't want to be touched by. And if someone is trying to touch them they don't want to be near.....speak up and let the appropriate people know about it.

So are you saying a handshake should be refused if you think the person is someone "offensive."    What do you do if someone you find "offensive" touches you in giving change?  OMG - Run!

Social dancing in elementary school should be no more sexualized that the above types of contact.  

If you - and others - really care about protecting girls - you would be much more concerned about the messages they are continually given that sex is just another natural and healthy activity and participating is really no big deal - which is why condoms have been given as young as elementary school and parents are not notified if a girl wants an abortion.

You want to tell girls they can refuse "touch" but what do you tell them if they want to have sex - get the herpes shot, take the pill, here's the number for Planned Parenthood if you get "caught."  And they are told that before they even understand what sex involves.   Oh yes that's MUCH healthier than social dancing.  Wow.

@Isobel Archer  I'm not usually at a loss for words but you win first prize for the one time a poster has made me absolutely speechless.

Give me a few minutes, though, and the prize will be rescinded.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer

Do you realize you are the only person talking about sex?

It has nothing to do with sex.  You told other people not to sexualize children, yet that's all you can talk about.

Valued Contributor

This is really strange to me. Why force the point of accepting a invitation to the dance. Instead, try more interactive activities at the dance (games, contests,etc.) 

They lost the message of having fun. Forcing "fear" on children is unacceptable. They have enough to deal with instead of causing more angst.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If they are so concerned about the boys feeling bad if they are turned down, what about the girls who are not asked to dance? Is anyonr concerned with their feelings? Everyone has the right to say no when it comes to who they spend time with and especially who is allowed to touch them at all. Any child of mine, male or female, would not be attending this dance while I made sure they understood why.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

Just read (CNN) reports that the rules have changed and a student can say NO if asked to dance if they do not wish to.

I'm glad to read that.   When girls are 11 or 12 or before that is when the time of month starts and you start to have crushes on boys.   We didn't have dances until 9th  grade but I know I would not have wanted to go to a dance where I had to dance with someone I did not like.

Why don't they switch it around and have the girls ask the boys to dance instead?