Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2

You must know that Utah is changing rapidly.  There is a major movement there of women making changes for the better, it was in the news just the other day.

My HUGE extended family of in-laws are there, my SIL is a university professor and I hear about the movement often.  I have been there myself several times, including to the Salt Lake Tabernacle and the home of Brigham Young.

I'm guessing the young Utah moms, the young Utah women are the ones who got the dance rule changed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

Adults need to stop sexualizing children.

Good for you. Most women appreciate the privilege of being able to say NO.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cumbercookie13wrote:

I don't agree with the rule. It's a bit disturbing that an elementary school is mandating young children dance with each other and they can't say no. If the school wants to have a teachable moment about tolerance and acceptance, forcing it on students at a dance is not the way to do it. And I'm far from a prude, but elementary school dances shouldn't even have slow dances, if this is what's happening. Why not do it as a line dance, or just do group dances with fast songs? Kids could still be with each other, but in groups or dancing next to each other and they still get a chance for social interaction. Just because they're kids doesn't mean they have no body autonomy or the right to make their own choices. 

@Cumbercookie13

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't know why elementary schools are having dances in the first place!    Just when did this start, anyway?

IMO, the only suitable theme for elementary age would be if the school wanted to sponsor an event where dance lessons were given .....  adults demonstrated a particular dance and then asked whichever kids wanted to would come join people on the dance floor and were taught "skills" for the future.   Lots of fun and laughs .....   and no pressure on anyone.

Anyone who wished to just observe and not participate were allowed to do so without being hassled by anyone saying you HAVE to participate.

JMO

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

Not in my world ..... I don't want to touch anyone that is offensive to me. I taught my children the same. They have choices in life.....one is turning down ANYONE that they don't want to be touched by. And if someone is trying to touch them they don't want to be near.....speak up and let the appropriate people know about it.

@Trinity11

Amen, sister !!!   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

A girl should always be allowed to say, NO. 

My daughter wouldn't go to that dance unless she was ok with that.  I don't like it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Not in my world ..... I don't want to touch anyone that is offensive to me. I taught my children the same. They have choices in life.....one is turning down ANYONE that they don't want to be touched by. And if someone is trying to touch them they don't want to be near.....speak up and let the appropriate people know about it.

Dancing does not require touching, at least not in elementary school.  Lets face it they all have cooties. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer

You may need to look around, children are sexualizing themselves at very early ages these days.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer

Sexuality is not the issue here, it has nothing to do with it and neither does ballroom dancing.  It's about free will and girls having the right to say no to a boy, even for a dance.
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@Cumbercookie13wrote:

I don't agree with the rule. It's a bit disturbing that an elementary school is mandating young children dance with each other and they can't say no. If the school wants to have a teachable moment about tolerance and acceptance, forcing it on students at a dance is not the way to do it. And I'm far from a prude, but elementary school dances shouldn't even have slow dances, if this is what's happening. Why not do it as a line dance, or just do group dances with fast songs? Kids could still be with each other, but in groups or dancing next to each other and they still get a chance for social interaction. Just because they're kids doesn't mean they have no body autonomy or the right to make their own choices. 

@Cumbercookie13

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't know why elementary schools are having dances in the first place!    Just when did this start, anyway?

IMO, the only suitable theme for elementary age would be if the school wanted to sponsor an event where dance lessons were given .....  adults demonstrated a particular dance and then asked whichever kids wanted to would come join people on the dance floor and were taught "skills" for the future.   Lots of fun and laughs .....   and no pressure on anyone.

Anyone who wished to just observe and not participate were allowed to do so without being hassled by anyone saying you HAVE to participate.

JMO

I guess it depends where you live and the school. I never attended a dance in elementary school, we passed out valentines and had cookies in class. In middle school I did go to dances, which were held right after school. During slow songs, most kids would sit them out and talk or get something to drink unless you had a boyfriend or girlfriend. This was back in the 80's. 

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2  Utah is still part of the republic. It is represented by those who have been elected to represent their constiuency.

If they are 63% LDS, then it stands to reason that the elected officials may well also be overwhelmingly LDS.