Respected Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent?

@Noel7wrote:

wrote:

First of all I've in Utah my whole life  and as usual  I find it interesting  reading all the negative remarks about this dance especially from all of you that Don't live here.

Second:  IG, you started the post and alot of you have very strong feeling about the subject and as usual the most important part of this story was left out. IT'S NOT MANDATORY.  They don't have to go.

Third: Moonchilde, Your remark about the women being subservient and second class shows that you really Don't know what your talking about. Utah is only 40% Mormon. I'm sure that's the religion your talking about.

Don't be so quick to make judgements before you have all the information  or nonething at all.

@sweetee2

Where you live doesn’t matter.  Girls should not be taught they don’t have a choice in who they allow to touch them.

ITA @Noel7, where you live has nothing to do with this situation. It is about forcing young girls to say Yes (and yes, sweettee2, it was mandatory). Thanks goodness parents complained and it is not longer a rule.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1wrote:

This is one of those situations where I can see both sides, I'm just not sure.🤔

@QVCkitty1 Me too. I certainly can see both sides of it. I think they would be better off promoting fast dancing anyways instead of slow dancing....At least with Fast Dancing a lot of kids dance in groups which I think is better......I definitely can see both sides of this though!

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2wrote:

First of all I've in Utah my whole life  and as usual  I find it interesting  reading all the negative remarks about this dance especially from all of you that Don't live here.

Second:  IG, you started the post and alot of you have very strong feeling about the subject and as usual the most important part of this story was left out. IT'S NOT MANDATORY.  They don't have to go.

Third: Moonchilde, Your remark about the women being subservient and second class shows that you really Don't know what your talking about. Utah is only 40% Mormon. I'm sure that's the religion your talking about.

Don't be so quick to make judgements before you have all the information  or nonething at all.

Actually, Utah is nearly 63% Mormon. This is as of July 2017 per the SLC Tribune. It's government is as close to a theocracy as we get in this country with an overwhelming majority of lawmakers being Mormon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard this the other day and I can't type what my initial response was to it without being banned but let's say it was along the lines of "What is wrong with people!"  Especially the so called adults employed in our educational system.

How would they like to be told they have no choice in whether or not they have a dinner date on Friday night?  It's absurb! 

Me, my child, my sister, my nephew, the lady down the street, and my poodle all have the right to decide who they spend time with and who they don't. 

And any human being that believes they are doing a child a favor by not requiring that they learn to take rejection which they are going to experience a whole lot of it in life, needs to take a trip back to the mandatory psychology class we all had in obtaining our teaching licenses.  

Most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time.  

Respected Contributor

I don't agree with the rule. It's a bit disturbing that an elementary school is mandating young children dance with each other and they can't say no. If the school wants to have a teachable moment about tolerance and acceptance, forcing it on students at a dance is not the way to do it. And I'm far from a prude, but elementary school dances shouldn't even have slow dances, if this is what's happening. Why not do it as a line dance, or just do group dances with fast songs? Kids could still be with each other, but in groups or dancing next to each other and they still get a chance for social interaction. Just because they're kids doesn't mean they have no body autonomy or the right to make their own choices. 

Respected Contributor

The whole thing is inappropriate. Kids shouldn't be forced to dance with anyone, boy or girl. Why are they pushing couples dances at that age anyway? It should be marketed more as a group dance event where kids come to dance with everyone and not a partner. It's super weird to create dance cards for kids that age, or any age for that matter. What century are we living in?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@sweetee2wrote:

It doesn't matter if it was mandatory. The fact that it was promoted is disturbing.

Where posters live is irrelevant. Besides, the parents in Utah had an issue with it too.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Just read (CNN) reports that the rules have changed and a student can say NO if asked to dance if they do not wish to.

Respected Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent

[ Edited ]

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

Adults need to stop sexualizing children.

Honored Contributor

Re: Utah Elementary Valentines Dance/Mandatory Consent

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Dancing is not sex - or it shouldn't be.  Having done ballroom dancing for years, I would never refuse to dance with anyone who asked me - even men who had no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

This is elementary school - it should be properly chaperoned.  If there is sexual touching, adults should stop it - whether it is "consensual" or not.  It is absolutely inappropriate.

Social dancing is a way to learn to approrpiate behavior - in lots of ways.  And politely dancing with someone you do not particularly like as a potential boyfriend is part of that.

Adults need to stop sexualizing children.

Not in my world ..... I don't want to touch anyone that is offensive to me. I taught my children the same. They have choices in life.....one is turning down ANYONE that they don't want to be touched by. And if someone is trying to touch them they don't want to be near.....speak up and let the appropriate people know about it.